Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable and precise source for any quote on this list please move it to Freeman Dyson. --Antiquary 18:04, 7 April 2009 (UTC)
- It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear.
- In our time, in the period 1960-1980, we have seen particle physics emerge as the playground of group theory.
- Technology is a gift of God. After the gift of life it is perhaps the greatest of God's gifts. It is the mother of civilizations, of arts and of sciences.
- The AEC of course has a logical explanation for this absurd situtation...Their regulations say that secret information may be given to a foreigner only when this is necessary to the national defense. Obviously, if the information is not vital military information, it cannot be necessary to the national defense to give it to me. Therefore I can have the important military secrets but not the unimportant civilian secrets. It is the craziest joke I ever heard.
- On obtaining permission, before he became a US citizen, to work on US civilian projects to create fusion reactors.
- The question that will decide our destiny is not whether we shall expand into space. It is: shall we be one species or a million? A million species will not exhaust the ecological niches that are awaiting the arrival of intelligence.
- You ask: what is the meaning or purpose of life? I can only answer with another question: do you think we are wise enough to read God's mind?