Return to "Dick Gregory" page.
- Money is not power. Education is not power. But information IS power. And now for the first time we can truly tune into the REAL bank.
- In America, with all of its evils and faults, you can still reach through the forest and see the sun. But we don't know yet whether that sun is rising or setting for our country.
- Last time I was down South I walked into this restaurant, and this white waitress came up to me and said, “We don't serve colored people here.” I said, “That's all right. I don't eat colored people. Bring me a whole fried chicken.” Then these three white boys came up to me and said, “Boy, we're givin' you fair warnin'. Anything you do to that chicken, we're gonna do to you.” So I put down my knife and fork, I picked up that chicken and I kissed it. Then I said, “Line up, Boys!”
- Hell hath no fury like a liberal scorned.
- America will tolerate the taking of a human life without giving it a second thought. But don't misuse a household pet.
- My daughter said to me "Now daddy, you know darn good and well that no white man would come to our neighborhood after midnight!"
- I am really enjoying the new Martin Luther King Jr stamp - just think about all those white bigots, licking the backside of a black man.
- If they took all the drugs, nicotine, alcohol and caffeine off the market for six days, they'd have to bring out the tanks to control you.
- We thought I was going to be a great athlete, and we were wrong, and I thought I was going to be a great entertainer, and that wasn't it either. I'm going to be an American Citizen. First class.
- We used to root for the Indians against the cavalry, because we didn't think it was fair in the history books that when the cavalry won it was a great victory, and when the Indians won it was a massacre.
- In most places in the country, voting is looked upon as a right and a duty, but in Chicago it's a sport.
- It's a funny thing. The Kerner Report say the riots were caused by "white racism" and the newspapers cried "Extraordinary." I called it the same thing, "white racism," and newspapers cried "Extremist."
- Think of the federal tax money which is raised from the sale of cigarettes—money which is used to continue the slaughter, burning and maiming of innocent people. If youth all over America would decide to smoke their last cigarette and mail the empty pack back to the manufacturer with the message: "I will not smoke again until the war is over in Vietnam," the tobacco industry would kick the President's door in.
- I never wanted be a kid, I always thought old black men were the coolest, but now I wish I was young, because the teachers are having sex with the students! If it were like that when I was a kid, I'd of had a perfect attendance record. I'd be grabbing my books on Christmas morning to head to school, and my mother would ask me "What are you going to do at school on Christmas morning?", and I'd say "I'm getting a little behind in my classes!"
- Wouldn't be a shame if this was just burnt cork and y'all were being tolerant for nothing?
- What we're doing in Vietnam is using the black man to kill the yellow man so the white man can keep the land he took from the red man.
- And we love to dance, especially that new one called the Civil War Twist. The Northern part of you stands still while the Southern part tries to secede.
- Just being a Negro doesn't qualify you to understand the race situation any more than being sick makes you an expert on medicine.
- (1964) (unsourced attribution)
- If they took all the drugs, nicotine, alcohol and caffeine off the market for six days, they’d have to bring out the tanks to control you.