THX 1138 is a 1971 science-fiction film. It depicts an Orwellian future, featuring three residents of a dystopia in which a high level of control is exerted upon the populace through ever-present faceless, android police officers and mandatory, regulated use of special drugs to suppress emotion, including sexual desire.
- Well.... I slipped on a T5 transfer this morning. It's never happened before.
- What am I to her or she to me? Nothing. She's an ordinary roommate. I share rooms with her. Our relationship is normal, conforming. We share nothing but space.
- Well, maybe you are right. Maybe there's something wrong with the computer. I don't know, it's a strange life. Cybernetics, genetics, lasers and all those things. I guess I'll never understand any of that stuff. Guess maybe holograms are not supposed to.
- Looks like the only way out is the way we came in.
- Never mind.
- My time is yours...
Very good, proceed...
Yes, I understand...
Yes... yes, I understand...
Could you be more... specific?
You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses.
Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard; increase production, prevent accidents, and be happy.
[or] Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy.
- For more enjoyment and greater efficiency, consumption has been standardized.
- Take four red capsules. In 10 minutes take two more. Help is on the way.
- (Spoken by one of the android cops carrying electrostaffs to torment THX 1138 while imprisoned in the white void) Are you now or have you ever been?
- (Female voice - medicine cabinet) If you feel you are not properly sedated, call 348-844 immediately. Failure to do so may result in prosecution for criminal drug evasion.
- (Heard over the headphones while in the car) I think I ran over a Wookie back there on the expressway.
- Visit the future where love is the ultimate crime.
- The Future is here.
- A Love Story Filmed on Location in the 21st Century.