TED Conference , LLC (Technology, Entertainment, Design) is an American-Canadian non-profit media organization that posts international talks online for free distribution under the slogan "ideas worth spreading". TED was founded by Richard Saul Wurman and Harry Marks in February 1984 as a tech conference, in which Mickey Schulhof gave a demo of the compact disc that was invented in October 1982. It has been held annually since 1990. TED covers almost all topics – from science to business to global issues – in more than 100 languages. To date, more than 13,000 TEDx events have been held in at least 150 countries.
|This article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I worked with musicians. I worked with artists. I worked with designers. I worked with scientists. I worked with engineers. And it struck me at one point that we were … bringing these very divergent technologies together. I came up with this idea that I wanted to do a conference, but I didn’t know how to do a conference.
- So Richard [Saul Wurman] came and visited … and I said: 'Would you help me to do a conference, or would you show me how to do it?'
- He said, 'Yeah, I’ll help you. Just give me half. We’ll do it together, we’ll be partners.' And he brought in Frank Stanton, a wonderful man, with huge credentials. So the three of us did the first TED in 1984..
- And it totally worked, in principle. It didn’t work financially for us at all, but it worked in principle.
- Harry Marks, Remembering Harry Marks, co-founder of the TED Conference (Posted by: Emily McManus April 26, 2019 at 9:47 pm EDT)