citizens or residents of Switzerland
(Redirected from Swiss)
- James Bond: If you can't trust a Swiss banker, what's the world come to?
- The World Is Not Enough (1999), directed by Michael Apted, MGM
- There is no more beautiful scenery or climate for summer travel than Switzerland presents. The people are industrious and honest, simple and frugal in their habits, and would be very poor with all this, if it were not from the travel through their country. I wish their suprlus population would emigrate to the United States.
- The Swiss are offended at being called gentlemen, and have to establish the proof of their low origin, in order to qualify them for stations of importance.
- Blaise Pascal, Pensées (1669)
- Original French: Les Suisses s’offensent d’être dits gentilshommes, et prouvent leur roture de race pour être jugés dignes de grands emplois.
- Alternate translation: The Swiss are offended at being called gentlemen, and prove the mean extraction of their race, in order to be deemed worthy of great places.
- Alternate translation: The Swiss are offended at being called gentlemen, and prove themselves plebeians in order to be judged worthy of great employments.
- Encyclopedic article on Swiss people at Wikipedia