group of jazz and swing lovers in Germany
Swing Kids is a 1993 film, set in pre-World War II Germany, about two high school students who attempt to be swing kids by night and Hitler Youth by day, a decision that acutely impacts their friends and families.
- Directed by Thomas Carter. Written by Jonathan Marc Feldman.
In a world on the brink of war. You either march to one tune or dance to another.taglines
- If you side with the Nazis, Thomas, then we're at war.
- How's this for a cover? HJs by day, Swing Kids by night?
- Isn't it best to know what you're getting into... before you agree to get involved in it?
- How I envy the young. For them everything is so clear. Things seem to be either one way or another. It is only with a little age that you begin to see life as a series of compromises. But even in compromising one must draw a line.
- What's the matter with all of you? Can't you see what's happening? Are you afraid to look? We are murdering Austrians. Next it'll be the Czechs, and the Poles, not to mention the Gypsies, and the Jews- it's unmentionable! You think that just because you're not doing it yourself, you're not a part of it? Well, I'm sick and tired of doing my part!
- No one who likes swing can become a Nazi.
- I'm not a traitor. I just wised up. You will too.
- Thomas Berger: Arvid! What the hell was that speech all about? The Jews, and the Gypsies? What about the cripples?! You know, that's who you belong with!
- Arvid: I would rather belong to anyone... ANYONE, than belong to the Nazis like you do.
- Thomas Berger: You know, that's because you have everything backwards. You always said I was the stupid one. Nazis go anywhere they want, do anything they please, and everyone gets out of our way! You know, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about anybody but myself, because we're coming after you next.
- Arvid: Quiz time. Got your glasses on.
- Thomas Berger: What?
- Arvid: It means you don't know who your friends are.
- Peter: [turning down a cigarette] Can't, they smell your breath.
- Arvid: Then we better not listen to this music, they may listen to your ears.
- Peter: Yes, you. What the hell was that all about? Those things you were saying?
- Thomas: I was saying?!
- Peter: I can't believe- you don't really believe all that propaganda, do you?
- Thomas: Peter, he's the one that's got his head full of propaganda. Did you hear him? He was actually defending the Jews! You see what that music's done to Arvid? It's perverted his brain. Look at him.
- Peter: What? I can't believe this! Arvid's right about you.
- Thomas: Oh, you always think it's Arvid. You do, if it's right or wrong, you always pick a side!
- Peter: Well, he is right! Listen to yourself! You're turning into a fucking Nazi!
- Thomas: Oh, so what if I am? Oh, that's right, I'm sorry; I forgot. Your father was a Jew-lover too, wasn't he?
- Herr Knopp: [as Peter is arrested] Such a waste. So much passion, for nothing.
- Peter: It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing! Do wop do wop.
- [Peter is taken away]
- In a world on the brink of war. You either march to one tune or dance to another.
- They fought for the freedom that bound them together.
- Robert Sean Leonard - Peter Müller
- Christian Bale - Thomas Berger
- Frank Whaley - Arvid
- Barbara Hershey - Frau Müller
- Tushka Bergen - Evey
- David Tom - Willi Müller
- Julia Stemberger - Frau Linge
- Kenneth Branagh - SS-Sturmbandführer Knopp
- Noah Wyle - Emil Lutz
- Jessica Hynes - Helga
- Martin Clunes - Bandführer
- Jayce Bartok - Otto