Super 8 (film)
2011 American science fiction-thriller film directed by J. J. Abrams
Super 8 is a 2011 American science fiction thriller film about a group of friends who witness a train crash during the summer of 1979 and investigate subsequent unexplained events in their small town.
- Directed and written by J. J. Abrams.
- I know bad things happen. Bad things happen. But you can still live. You can still live.
- I can't believe we're breaking into the school. Who does that? Nobody does that. Idiots do that.
- You listen to me. I've got 12,000 people in this town who are scared out of their mind. They've got one person to rely on. It used to be someone else, but now it's just me.
- Mrs. Kaznyk: [first lines] I'm so worried for that boy.
- Mr. Kaznyk: Joe's gonna be okay.
- Mrs Kaznyk: She was everything to him.
- Mr. Kaznyk: Jack's gonna step up. He's a good man.
- Mrs. Kaznyk: But he's never had to be a father before. I don't think he understands Joe.
- Jack Lamb: [hands Joe a flyer for a baseball summer camp] It's an eight week program. You'd like it there. I know I did.
- Joe Lamb: I thought I was gonna have the summer to myself.
- Jack Lamb: Well obviously, things have changed for the both of us. And I think it'd be best if you didn't spend the summer running around with movie cameras and monster make-up.
- Joe Lamb: I have to help Charles finish his movie.
- Jack Lamb: I got nothing against your friends. I like your friends. Except for Cary, who can't seem to stop lighting things on fire. You'd like it there. It's what we both need.
- Alice Dainard: I know he wishes he'd been the one who died, sometimes I wish it too.
- Joe Lamb: Alice, don't say that. He's your dad.
- Alice Dainard: What was that necklace? The one you were holding at the train crash. Was it your mom's?
- Joe Lamb: My dad gave it to her the day I was born. She wears it all the time. Well, used to. And... It was bad how she died and... But my dad got it back.
- Alice Dainard: I know I don't know you at all. Even though it sort of feels like I do. Do you not feel like that?
- Joe Lamb: No, no, I totally do. I'm just kind of in shock at this entire conversation.
- Preston: [right after the crash] According to my Uncle Seth, an accident like this is exceptionally rare.
- Joe Lamb: It wasn't an accident. There was a truck on the tracks.
- Charles Kaznyk: What?! You mean someone crashed the train?!
- Dr. Woodward: [revealing to the kids he has survived the crash, but barely] Who are you?
- Charles Kaznyk: Dr. Woodward, it's me. Charles Kaznyk. From fourth period? You've been in an accident, sir. You're gonna be alright.
- [Suddenly, Woodward pulls out a revolver, frightening the kids]
- Dr. Woodward: They will kill you. Do not speak of this. Or else...you...and your parents will die.
- Joe Lamb: Your movie was over! You said that! I gave you a camera! I helped you!
- Charles Kaznyk: Don't pretend you did this for me, this was never about me. This was always about Alice!
- Joe Lamb: Well, you were the one who wanted her to play the wife in the first place.
- Charles Kaznyk: Not so you could fall in love with her!
- Joe Lamb: Why do you care how I think about Alice anyway?!
- Charles Kaznyk: Because I like her! That's why I asked her to do this in the first place, so I could get to know her! Not you!
- Joe Lamb: You like Alice Dainard?
- Charles Kaznyk: You're such an idiot! And now you won't even let me blow up your train. Everything...is just bogus.
- Cary McCarthy: Hey, Pussy! Stop taking the fries away!
- Charles Kaznyk: I ordered these for a reason!
- Cary McCarthy: Excuse me, can we have another order of fries? Because my friend here is fat.
- Charles Kaznyk: Funny, chompers. At least I don't need a booster seat.
- Sheriff Pruitt: Hey Breen, I'm not sure Edie's paying you to listen to the radio. Breen!
- Breen: Oh! Hey, Sheriff.
- Sheriff Pruitt: What's that?
- Breen: Walkman. It's like a stereo, play your own cassette tapes. You wanna try?
- Sheriff Pruitt: I don't think so. Kids walking around with their own stereos is just what we need. It's a slippery slope, my friend.
- Breen: Yes sir.
- Joe Lamb: How are you not reacting? That thing went through my wall!
- Charles Kaznyk: I told you not to pick it up in the first place!
- Joe Lamb: Why are you so angry? That I'm not gonna let you blow up my train?
- Charles Kaznyk: That's just a part of it! Just a part.
- Jackson Lamb: This is new, for the both of us. So I'm gonna be as simple and clear as I can: you're not friends with Alice Dainard. And by "no," I don't mean maybe, and I don't mean yes. I mean "no." I've known Louis Dainard for a lot of years, he's been nothing but trouble. Your mother used to say that he's not such a bad guy. That he needed a second chance, that he's just sad. Well, I tried to be good to him, and I can't. Not anymore. I will not allow him or his daughter in this house. I will not allow you to spend time with her, doing projects, or whatever it is that you do. That's it. I hope we're clear on that.
- Joe Lamb: We're not clear.
- Jackson Lamb: What did you say?
- Joe Lamb: We're not clear! You and I aren't clear about anything! We couldn't be less clear!
- Jackson Lamb: Joseph Francis Lamb...
- Joe Lamb: Just because mom died, doesn't mean you know anything about me, you don't. And you don't know anything about Alice either, she's kind.
- Jackson Lamb: We will not have this discussion right now.
- Joe Lamb: She's nice to me!
- Jackson Lamb: I don't care what she is! Her father's an irresponsible selfish son of a bitch. Now you listen to me. I've got 12,000 people in this town who are scared out of their mind. They've got one person to rely on. It used to be someone else, but now it's just me.
- Jackson Lamb: Listen, the Air Force set that fire, they want the town empty for some reason. The whole military operation, the evacuation, everything is all bad. We need to-
- Deputy Rosko: Did you hear about Joe? Look, dispatch just got a call on citizen's band: Joe and some of his friends, they were grabbed by Military personnel at the middle school.
- Jackson Lamb: [finds Preston, pulls a magazine he's reading away from him] Preston, you tell me everything, and I won't throw you in jail!
- Preston: ...yes sir. [holds up film] But, I think you should take a look at this first.
- Louis Dainard: I came over to your house that day...to tell you that I never meant to hurt anyone. I swear it. I'm sorry, Jack. About what happened to your wife.
- Jackson Lamb: It was an accident. It was an accident.