Sunday in the Park with George
Sunday in the Park with George, American musical
- You choose things and then you lose things, and there are Louies and there are Georges...well, Louies...and George. But George has George! And I need someone!
- Pretty isn't beautiful, Mother. Pretty is what changes. What the eye arranges-- is what is beautiful.
- I want my glasses!
- There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when you depart this world of ours - children and art.
- I cannot divide my feelings up as neatly as you, and I am not hiding behind my canvas - I am living in it.
- I am what I do. Which you knew. Which you always knew. What I thought you were a part of!
- Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision- they usually do.
- Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new.
- White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So many possibilities. [last line]
Finishing the HatEdit
- (George) Yes she looks for me. Good, let her look for me to tell me why she left me as I always knew she would. I had thought she understood. They have never understood and no reason that they should. But if anybody could. Finishing the Hat, how you have to fininsh the hat. How you watch the rest of the world through the window. While you finish the hat. Mapping out the sky, what you feel like planning the sky. How you feel the voices that come through the window go. Until they distance and die. Until there's nothing but sky. And how you're always coming back too late from the grass or the sticks or the dog or the light. How the kind of women willing to wait is not the kind that you want to find waiting for you to return to the night. Dizzy from the height. Coming from the hat. Studying the hat. Entering the world of the hat. Reaching through the world of the hat like a window back to this one and that. Studying the face. Stepping back to look like a face, leaves a little space in the way like a window, and to see.