Strictly Ballroom is a 1992 Australian romantic comedy film about Scott Hastings, a championship ballroom dancer who wants to dance non-Federation steps and his unlikely dance partner, Fran, a seemingly plain and ordinary dancing student. It is adapted from the short 1986 play of the same name.
- Liz: What do I want? I'll tell you what I want! I want Ken Railings to walk in here right now, and say "Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you!"
- [We witness Pam Short in a car accident. Then the door flies open, and Ken walks into the dance studio.]
- Ken: Pam Short’s broken both her legs, and I want to dance with you.
- Kylie: That was unexpected.
- Scott: Look, a beginner has no right to approach an Open Amateur.
- Fran: Yeah, well an Open Amateur has no right to dance non-Federation steps, but you did, didn't you?
- Scott: But that's different.
- Fran: How is it different? You're just like the rest of them! You think you're different, but you're not, because you're just, you're just really scared! You're really scared to give someone new a go, because you think, you know, they might just be better than you are! Well, you're just pathetic, and you're gutless. You're a gutless wonder! [shouting] Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!
- Barry: Where do you think we'd be if everyone went around making up their own steps?
- Scott: Out of a job.
- John Hannan — Ken Railings
- Pat Thomson — Shirley Hastings
- Barry Otto — Doug Hastings
- Kerry Shrimpton — Pam Short
- Lauren Hewett — Kylie Railings
- Steve Grace — Luke
- Tara Morice — Fran
- Antonio Vargas — Rico
- Bill Hunter — Barry Fife
- Peter Whitford — Les Kendall
- Gia Carides — Liz Holt
- Paul Mercurio — Paul Mercurio
- Sonia Kruger — Tina Sparkle
- Kris McQuade — Charm Leachman
- Pip Mushin — Wayne Burns
- Leonie Page — Vanessa Cronin