Australian zookeeper, conservationist and TV personality (1962–2006)
Stephen Robert Irwin (22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006), most commonly known as Steve Irwin, was the owner and manager of the Australia Zoo at Beerwah, Queensland, Australia. He was best known for the unconventional nature documentary series The Crocodile Hunter.
- I've probably saved thousands of people's lives with my educational message on snake bites, how to get in around venomous anything. Yeah, I'm a thrill seeker, but crikey, education's the most important thing.
- Online interview at Scientific American online (sciam.com) (26 March 2001)
- I think my path would have always gone back to or delivered me to wildlife. I think wildlife is just like a magnet, and it's something that I can't help.
- If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'
- Biography for Steve Irwin (II) in The Internet Movie Database
- Born a wildlife warrior, die a wildlife warrior.
- Radio interview on Radio Alice (KLLC 97.3)
- I have a deep-seated respect for parrots. As gifted as I am with all other wildlife, parrots have this uncanny desire to kill me. I'm not sure why, but they're like my kryptonite!
- I'm very embarrassing to look at. You know why? Here's why I'm embarrassing: 'cause there's a little bit of me in everybody... I'm like the boy that never grew up. I'm very, very passionate about what I do. I mean, I love what I do....and people are like "God, give this guy a valium or something, you know? Can't he have a bad day?"
- I've got the Terri factor, mate. I've got this wife that is so incredibly intelligent and strong that I reckon, between us, we'll get through it.
- from "Enough Rope With Andrew Denton" on ABC, 2003
- Crikey means gee whiz, wow!
- Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building.
- from "Enough Rope With Andrew Denton" on ABC, 2004
- I have a message for my fans. Whatever you want to do in this world, it is achievable. The most important thing that I've found, that perhaps you could use, is be passionate and enthusiastic in the direction that you choose in life, and you'll be a winner.
- from Crikey! What an Adventure on Animal Planet, 2007nb
- I don't know, man; don't worry about it.
- from "Broad Street Scientific," 2012 edition, quoted posthumously
- And [Steve] came up on Croc One, and we sat down and had a talk. And he said, "Look, this is what I want to do and I want you to teach me about it." And I said, "Look, Steve, you do realize that people think you're an absolute moron." And he went, "Yeah." And I said, "Are you?" And he said, "Jamie, do you watch my shows?" And I went, "Not really." And he said, "Do you watch any of them?" And I said, "Yeah, a couple." And he said, "Why do you watch?" I said, "To see what you're gonna do wrong." He said, "Gotcha! The moment I've got you whipped in to see whether I'm gonna do anything wrong, I can tell you anything. And you're gonna remember it."
- As recounted by Dr. Jamie Seymour, associate professor, Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine. In an interview with Destin Sandlin, YouTube channel SmarterEveryDay, June 16, 2014.