1984 fantasy romantic comedy movie
- Directed by Ron Howard. Written by Brian Grazer, Bruce Jay Friedman, Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel. Starring Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah.
- It just so happens I come from a very long line of married people.
- I am not a fish! How many times do I have to tell you people that? Now, will you just let me outta here? Please? Huh? People?
- Said while standing naked in a tank with wires trailing from his body.
- I suppose you're just some harmless beachcomber who happens to wear a tuxedo!
- I was right. Behold, the mermaid!
- I'm a really nice guy. If I had friends you could ask them.
- Freddie: [excitedly waves an issue of Penthouse magazine] They published my letter. Here it is "A lesbian no more". They published my letter.
- Stan: Welcome to the Statue of Liberty. The statue is a gift from French citizens that has come to symbolize hope for naked women everywhere. (angrily) BOCCE BALLS!!
- Allen: Are there any messages?
- Mrs. Stimler: Oh, yes. [goes back to working]
- Allen: [pause] And they are?
- Mrs. Stimler: Huh? Oh, your father called. He wants you to call him back.
- Allen: [pauses] Mrs. Stimler, our father passed away about five years ago. Do you remember?
- Mrs. Stimler: [confused look] Right. Shall I get him for you?
- Allen: No, thank you.
- Allen: You know by the time I got there, she was already gone.
- Freddie: Victoria left, huh?
- Allen: Yeah. You know why she left, Freddie? Because I didn't love her.
- Freddie: That bitch.
- [Allen is an usher at a wedding and has recently ended a relationship.]
- Wedding Guest: Hey, Allen! Where's Victoria?
- Allen: She's not coming! What, do you want your money back?!
- Guest: Hey, Allen!
- Allen: She left me! She moved out and my life's shambles, all right? That's the news, you want the weather? Anywhere but the first three rows!
- [Allen has passed out and laying on the bar in a snack bowl]
- Freddie: You see, drinking is a matter of algebraic ratio. How drunk you get is caused by the amount of alcohol you consume in relation to your total body weight. You see my point? It's not that you had too much to drink. You're just too skinny.
- [Allen remains comatose]
- Freddie: Bartender! Another round for my friend and I here!
- Allen: No, no, Freddie! I don't want to get drunk!
- Freddie: But you are drunk. You see, a sober person would have reached for the pretzels.
- Bartender: Is he gonna be up there all day?
- Freddie: I don't know.
- Allen: [coming to] Ohh... I'm on the bar!
- Freddie: Oh, you're on the bar. Here, let me help you down.
- [Allen slips and falls to the floor]
- Freddie: Uh-oh, you fell.
- Claude: There's a guy down the beach that runs people out to the island.
- Allen: What's the name?
- Claude: The guy or the island?
- Allen: I'll find him.
- Claude: Hey, Mr. Cornbeef?
- Kornbluth: Kornbluth!
- Claude: Whatcha lookin' for down there? Buried treasure?
- Kornbluth: Wanna know what I'm lookin' for? Boys? I'll tell ya. (screams) NONE OF YOUR GODDAMN BUSINESS!! THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKIN' FOR! Get outta my way! (dives off the ship into the water)
- Claude: That's pee down his air hose. (laughs)
- Allen: What is your name?
- Madison: It's hard to say in English.
- Allen: Then just say it in your language.
- Madison: All right. My name is... [makes high-pitched squeals that shatter all the television screens]
- Allen: [nervously to the clerks] So, how about those Knicks?
- [Madison is hiding in the bathroom, desperately trying to dry off her tail]
- Allen: All right, Madison, now this is getting scary. If you don't open this door, I'm going to break it down!
- Madison: No, Allen! Please!
- Allen: Madison!
- Madison: Allen, no! [throws a towel over herself]
- Allen: All right, that's it!
- [He busts the door open to see Madison laying on the bathroom floor; Madison has returned to her human form]
- Madison: Hi.
- Allen: Hi. Is everything okay?
- Madison: Yeah.
- Allen: Why wouldn't you let me in?
- Madison: I was... shy.
- Allen: You were shy? After the cab, the elevator, and on top of the refrigerator, you were shy?
- Madison: I was shy.
- Allen: [to himself] She was shy.
- Allen: Freddie, the woman learned how to speak English in a single afternoon.
- Freddie: She could probably speak English already. I think she was in shock from being arrested, you know?
- Allen: Well now, what about that, huh? What about a woman showing up naked in a public place, Freddie?
- Freddie: Well I'm in for it, of course.
- Dr. Zidell: What's happened to you? You were the brightest student in my class. True, emotionally you were twelve years old.
- Kornbluth: I was twelve years old.
- Dr. Zidell: That's right. And look what you've become, a schmuck.
- Kornbluth: There is a mermaid in New York City.
- Dr. Zidell: Oh, oh, sure, sure. You mean this-this-this naked girl? How come she's got legs?
- Kornbluth: She has legs out of the water, she has fins in the water. You taught me that, Dr. Zidell, don't you remember? You taught me all the legends.
- Madison: You said whatever my secret was, you'd understand.
- Allen: Yeah...but...
- Madison: You thought at least I was a human being.
- [Allen is being mobbed by reporters]
- Freddie: Allen, you all right?
- Allen: Yeah, get me outta here!
- Freddie: Is anyone here from Penthouse Magazine?
- Reporters: No.
- Freddie: Then we ain't talkin'.
- [Allen sees his employees staring at him]
- Freddie: What are you looking at? You never saw a guy who slept with a fish before? Get back to work!
- [Allen and Freddie are about to enter the office]
- Mrs. Stimler: [to Allen] Oh Mr. Bauer, you had a million messages. I wrote them down here. You got calls from CBS, NBC, ABC, AP, UPI, Time, Ted Turner, Newsweek, Marineland, Ripley's Believe it or Not, and Mrs. Paul.
- Freddie: Not now, Mrs. Stimler. All right.
- Allen: I don't understand. All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's... she's a fish.
- Freddie: Nobody said love's perfect.
- Allen: Oh, Freddie, I don't expect it to be perfect! But for God's sake, it's usually human! Every day, people meet, they fall in love, every day! And look at what I got.
- Freddie: [angrily] Look at what you got, huh? Yeah, let's look at what you got. Let's take a good look at what you got. People fall in love every day, huh? Is that what you said?
- Allen: Yeah.
- Freddie: Yeah? Well, that's a crock. It doesn't work that way. Look, do you at least realize how happy you were with her? That is, of course, when you weren't driving yourself crazy. Every day? Come on. Some people will never be that happy. I'll never be that happy! [pause] What am I talking to you for? You don't know anything. Mrs. Stimler! [leaves the office]
- Allen: I didn't even like you when I first met you.
- Kornbluth: Nobody likes me when they first meet me.
- Madison: Allen...
- [Allen and Kornbluth look back to see the Marines approaching them]
- Kornbluth: Move!
- Two days ago, this girl showed up naked at the Statue of Liberty. For Allen Bauer, it was love at first sight. Now, everyone is chasing her... trying to prove she's a mermaid. From the first laugh, you'll be hooked.
- Allen Bauer thought he'd never find the right woman... He was only half wrong!
- She was the woman of Allen's dreams. She had large dark eyes, a beautiful smile, and a great pair of fins.
|Tom Hanks||Allen Bauer|
|Eugene Levy||Dr. Walter Kornbluth|
|John Candy||Freddie Bauer|
|Dody Goodman||Mrs. Stimler|
|Richard B. Shull||Dr. Ross|
|Shecky Greene||Mr. Buyrite|
|Bobby Di Cicco||Jerry|
|Howard Morris||Dr. Zidell|