Sonny Bill Williams
New Zealand rugby league and rugby union footballer, and heavyweight boxer
- On multi-sport career
- I feel that if I am busting my arse, if I am stretching at night, if I am working hard in the gym, if I am doing all of my extras out on the field, if I am the first one there and the last to leave or whatever, and if I am giving my all every game, then I deserve to be the man I want to be rather than the man other people want me to be.
- Williams on the controversial nature of his flitting between football codes. Sonny Bill Williams regrets nothing, by Brad Walter, Sydney Morning Herald, dated 29 November 2013.
- On boxing
- Every sport has helped me excel in another. Boxing has given me the mental strength to know that I can face anything on the field, without a doubt.
- Williams on the effect rugby league, rugby union and boxing have had on his sporting career. Sonny Bill Williams: Islam brings me happiness, by Gary Morley and Neil Curry, CNN, dated 27 November 2013.
- On ethnic identity
- I am the first to jump up and say that I am a proud Samoan.
- Williams on his paternal heritage. Samoa’s living legend, by Sophie Budvietas, Samoa Observer, dated 24 August 2014.
- On religious faith
- I feel like I am on the right path now. It has helped me with my confidence on the sporting field and with my self-belief, but outside of sport my life is a lot smoother too. Like everyone, I have my faults and I veer off the path sometimes, but my faith helps me get back on it and to stay being a good person. I am a lot happier now in my own skin.
- Williams on his Muslim faith. Sonny Bill Williams, the contender, by Greg Bearup, The Australian, dated 2 March 2013.
- On birth of first child
- [Her birth] was the best moment of my life, by far, and it didn't do it justice watching it on Skype...When I saw my child for the first time it just switched the switch, you know. That's when you realise you love something more than you love yourself.
- Williams on birth of his first child. Noble name for SBW's baby, by Rachel Glucina, NZ Herald, dated 5 December 2014.
- On aspirations
- If you don't have massive dreams, you might as well stay in bed.
- Williams while speaking on his sporting aspirations. Time gets close for SBW to make call, by Phil Lutton, Sydney Morning Herald, dated 7 February 2013.
- On legacy
- In 20 years time, I want to say 'didn't I have a go when I was in my prime', and I went back to play rugby league, tried to make the Rugby World Cup, tried to make the Olympics or tried to win the World Cup with the Kiwis.
- Sonny Bill Williams regrets nothing, by Brad Walter, Sydney Morning Herald, dated 29 November 2013.
- When I finish my sporting career it's not about what I've done, or being remembered as a legend. For me it's just about being the best father, husband and man I can be.
- Rugby now the priority for Sonny Bill Williams after winning fight with Chauncy Welliver, by Chris Barclay, Stuff, dated 1 February 2015.
- On media
- I try not to read too much in the media because they're either gonna put you on a pedestal too high or underplay you.
- Sonny Bill shares his tale for Pasifika youth, by Vaimoana Tapaleao, New Zealand Herald, dated 23 April 2016.
Quotes about WilliamsEdit
- In terms of Sonny Bill, well Sonny Bill’s one of the most gifted players we’ve ever seen, big or small. His physical presence, his athleticism, his ability to play like a halfback, but with the strength and offloading ability of Arthur Beetson; it’s a pretty good package, Sonny Bill Williams.
- Greg Alexander on Williams in rugby league. Brandy’s Breakdown: Greg Alexander reflects on the legacy left by Sam Burgess, SBW, by Ben Glover, Fox Sports, dated 4 September 2014.
- What’s the Sonny Bill Effect? Without doubt, he’s been a giant of the club. There’s the athletic ability and the consummate professionalism. He works as hard on his preparation as any player I’ve ever seen. Of course he’s a natural, but there’s a lot of hard work that goes into making it so natural. He’s the modern-day sportsman. He’s helped turn us into a modern-day club. There’s no drinking, there’s no smoking, there’s none of the partying habits that can drag rugby league down. The influence of Sonny Bill? We’re talking about an icon of our sport and this club.
- Luke Ricketson on the effect Williams has had at the Roosters. For the Roosters, the Sonny Bill Effect is sobering, by Will Swanton, The Australian, dated 13 September 2014.
- In 2013, Sonny Bill Williams drove the Roosters to glory with the skill, footwork and defensive weaponry that makes him arguably the most complete back-rower the code has seen.
- Darren Lockyer on Williams' rugby league career. Jason Taumalolo can lead North Queensland Cowboys to NRL premiership glory, by Darren Lockyer, The Courier-Mail, dated 8 August 2015.
- He changed the game around with the offload and the way a No.12 plays. He's strong, and he's quick for his size as well, with pretty good skills for a big guy. He did really well when he played the game.
- Israel Folau on Williams' impact on rugby during his first stint. Israel Folau wants to switch to centres for Waratahs, by Georgina Robinson, The Age, dated 22 January 2015.
- [T]he most gifted footballer I’ve ever seen...
- Eddie Jones on Williams' rugby career. Eddie Jones tells Christian Wade to work on defence, by Gary Fitzgerald, The Rugby Paper, dated 4 May 2016.
- [He's] the smartest on the uptake that I have encountered.
- Dave Rennie describing Williams when he coached him at the Chiefs. Sonny Bill Williams is now the biggest brand in world rugby, Yahoo New Zealand, dated 3 June 2016.
- I’ve never coached a more professional footy player in attitude.
- Steve Hansen on coaching Williams at the All Blacks. Sonny Bill Williams is now the biggest brand in world rugby, Yahoo New Zealand, dated 3 June 2016.