Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW Publishing)
Sonic the Hedgehog is an American comic book series based on the Sega video game franchise, published by IDW Publishing. It is the third licensed comic book iteration based on Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog intellectual property, after Fleetway Publications's Sonic the Comic and Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog series.
Sonic the HedgehogEdit
#1-32, #41-44 written by Ian Flynn; #33-40, #45- written by Evan Stanley
- Sonic the Hedgehog: It's what I do. Just keep moving, doing good, saving folks, and living as free as the wind. Living by my way. My own way.
- Tumble the Skunk: You lookin' to scrap?
- Rough the Skunk: Then get ready to crumble!
- Tumble the Skunk: Brace yourselves for-
- Rough and Tumble: -ROUGH & TUMBLE!
- Tangle the Lemur: (to Sonic and Blaze) I know we all just met, but... (stretches out her tail) ..hop on?
- Sonic the Hedgehog: (leaning by Tangle's tail with Blaze) Ready?
- Blaze the Cat: Ready.
- Tangle the Lemur Bon voyage!
- Mr. Tinker: I hope you'll come back to visit! I'd love to show you Eggman Land once it's completed!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: (thinking) "Eggman Land?!" His terrifying personal theme park?! Did he just slip up with his ruse? Or is he...?
- Shadow the Hedgehog: Have you forgotten that he made you suffer? That he's tried to destroy you- multiple times? How can you suggest leniency for him after all that?
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Heh- you tried to destroy me in the past too, remember? (beat) You even tried to obliterate an entire planet. So-what? You want me to take you out with Eggman? After all, if he can't be forgiven, can't you?
- (Silver the Hedgehog's monologue)
- When I left, my time had been conquered by the Eggman Empire. Everyone lived in fear, choking on polluted air.
- When I went back, the Eggman Empire was gone--but so was everyone else.
- There was nothing left. No people, no animals, no machinery. Only water and sparse, metallic plant life.
- Silver the Hedgehog: It's okay if you prefer to work alone... ...but it looks to me you've put together a team. And I'd be proud to be part of it.
- Whisper the Wolf: (whispering) ...Maybe.
- Silver the Hedgehog: Let's see here... Looks like there was a major update across the Eggnet. It's almost like Neo Metal Sonic isn't hiding what he's doing any- Oh crap!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: We need to call Knuckles-now!
- Doctor Starline: Trust me, dear doctor. I made my career out of studying you. But don't worry... ...I intend to fix that. I will restore you to your former glory. Dr. Eggman will be reborn!
- Mr. Tinker: But I'm not him! I don't want to be Eggman!
- Doctor Starline: And he certainly wouldn't want to be you. Just lie back, relax, and think of Eggman Land.
- (in flashback)
- Doctor Eggman: How dare that Sonic damage you! He wouldn't recognize a work of art if it punched him in the face! You punch him in the face, right?
- (Metal Sonic gives thumbs up)
- Doctor Eggman: Attaboy!
- Dr. Eggman: My metal virus is a complete success! Even with the slightest exposure, my synthetic concoction spreads across all organic tissue; converting it into my own robotic slave. It's an army that builds itself!
- Tumble the Skunk: That's not fair. I had a tail again. The length. The heft. I had it all back...
- (Sonic looks at Tumble in confusion)
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Okay, man. It's over. Let it go.
- Tumble the Skunk: Heartless. You're just heartless. All I ever wanted to do was cave your head in...
- Sonic the Hedgehog: And just like that. My sympathy is spent.
- Doctor Starline: I wanted to meet you-experience you-for myself. The Blue Blur! Hero across time and space! The only being alive to be able to stand up to the overwhelming might and brilliance of Dr. Eggman through sheer skill alone! Can I measure up? Can I complete my objective with you in my way? Everything about this encounter has been constructed to be the ultimate test of our abilities and willpower!
- Silver the Hedgehog: He did not sound this creepy or crazy when I talked to him!
- Tumble the Skunk: We'll cave-in the mines!
- Rough the Skunk: Bury you in rubble!
- Tumble the Skunk: You're gonna get wrecked by...
- Tumble and Rough: -ROUGH & TUMBLE!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: If that's going to be your thing, it actually has to rhyme!
- Rough the Skunk: We did rhyme!
- Tumble the Skunk: Well... Not exactly...
- Rough the Skunk: What?!
- Tumble the Skunk: "Rubble" and "Tumble" only kinda rhyme at best!
- Rough the Skunk: I offered to go by "Tumble and Rough"!
- Tumble the Skunk: That doesn't flow and you know it!
- Amy Rose: They're not responding! It's like they're completely soulless!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Eggman somehow turned them into zombie robots. So... "zombots"? (jumps over Zombot Tumble with hand touching him) Yep! I'm going with "zombots"!
- Doctor Eggman: Attention citizens of Windmill Village! It is I- your beloved Mr. Tinker! My memories are a little jumbled, but I do recall your kindness and generosity. You all took good care of me! And as the old saying goes... ...no good deed goes unpunished.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: I'm gonna go take care of the infection. Thanks for bringing the truck.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: I know.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Don't let the zombots touch you. If it happens, you should be fast enough to run it off like me.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: Cowards run. I win.
- Whisper the Wolf: TANGLE!
- Amy Rose: Whisper! Don't! Sonic- help me!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: I can't!
- Whisper the Wolf: (shoves Amy off) Don't!
- Doctor Eggman: (pulls glove off Starline's hand) Thank you, Metal. Starline? You're fired.
- (Metal Sonic throws Starline into portal which then closes)
- Tails: Are we okay with this...?
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The guy brought Eggman back to his old self and tried to blow me and Silver up. Yeah. We're okay with this.
- Master Zik: My, my! You fledglings have quite impressive air boards! Perhaps I'll take one of them for myself.
- Jet the Hawk: GET OFF MY EXTREME GEAR!
- Storm the Albatross: Uh... b-boss?
- Jet the Hawk: What's the matter, Gramps? Afraid to fight your own battles?!
- Master Zik: I retired from the battlefield long ago. But I suppose you children could do with a lesson in discipline and humility.
- (Tails and Amy standing on defeated Zomom)
- Amy Rose: How do you like that? Overpowered...
- Tails: And outsmarted.
- Zeena: You... hit me!
- Cream the Rabbit: I hate fighting! I hate seeing my friends hurt and scared! And I hate how mean you are!
- Cream the Rabbit: I... don't want to make the others sick. S-so you have to go back on your own. I-I'll... I'll... (beat) I'll be brave. I'll just hide my eyes. Like it's a scary movie.
- (Gemerl throws Emerald into portal and flies away carrying Cream)
- Cream the Rabbit: Gemerl?
- Gemerl: (looking at Cream being zombified) I will stay with you until... you are well.
- Zor: Y-you can't leave me like this! Y-you're supposed to be heroes! I'm trapped! Powerless! This is inhuman! It's... it's... ...perfect!
- Espio the Chameleon: (looks at Emerald) I may have been the only one here in body... (reflection on Emerald shows Espio with Vector and Charmy) ...but you were here in spirit.
- (transformed Zavok shoots fireball at Angel Island from mouth)
- Knuckles the Echidna: Did he just spit on my island?!
- Knuckles the Echidna: Shadow?
- Shadow the Hedgehog: ...Knuckles.
- Knuckles and Shadow: Rouge?!
- Rouge the Bat: (kneeling on Master Emerald) The world was about to end! I wanted to spend the last moments with the one I love!
- Super Silver: Ngh! It's working!' Where are you sending it?
- Super Sonic: I'm dumping it where it won't hurt anyone again! (opens portal to the sun)
- Zomom: Aww... I look like a waffle. Hey, wait. BRING ME WAFFLES!
- Knuckles the Echidna: I tolerated you this long since you helped save the world. Don't make me throw you off the island.
- Rouge the Bat: (flirting) You're so stubborn. Until next time, handsome.
- Blaze the Cat: The Sonic the Hedgehog I knew was a hero, a paragon. He was as swift and free as the wind. He had no master, but fought for anyone and everyone. There was no challenge too great. No threat too dire that he wouldn't face without swagger and a smile.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: He sounds very impressive. I'd like to meet him one day.
- Blaze the Cat: I... Who do you think you are?
- (Silver stands over the now-fixed future)
- Silver the Hedgehog: (thinking) Sonic... Everyone... Thank you. We made a good future.
- Jet the Hawk: Where's my ice sculpture? I nearly got infected to save you ingrates! Where's my recognition?
- Wave the Swallow: (to Storm) Dinner, and a show.
- Storm the Albatross: We oughta save the world more often!
- Doctor Eggman: TREMBLE IN FEAR, FOOLS! I AM DR. EGGMAN--GREATEST OF PARTY CRASHERS IN THE FIERCEST OF PARTY CRUSHERS!
- Tangle the Lemur: (hugging everyone else) YEAH! EVERYBODY GETS IN ON THIS!
- Jewel the Beetle: Tangle...
- Tangle the Lemur: Whoops! Missed you! I think you can wedge in here between me and Sonic.
- Jewel the Beetle: I hate to ruin the mood, but... ...the town is still on fire.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: (thinking) It's good to be back. Good to be healthy. I hope Silver and Blaze can come back and not have to deal with some kind of disaster. A new day means new adventures! So no more lying around... ...Time to find out what comes next!
- E-123 Omega: (only has head) IT IS FORTUNATE THAT I AM A MACHINE. A WEAK ORGANIC LIFE FORM WOULD LIKELY EXPERIENCE ELEVATED STRESS IN THIS SITUATION.
- Tails: I wonder why Eggman abandoned this one...
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Maybe it was taken over by Ghost Badniks!
- Tails: Ah, stop it!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: They only come out under the full moon... Watch out, they want to suck your blood!
- Amy Rose: Hold on--We're trying to get Omega fixed! We could use your help.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: (turns to Amy before leaving) ...Not interested.
- Amy Rose: Ugh! Why he's gotta be such a grump?
- Rouge the Bat: Don't take it personally... That was polite, for him.
- Rouge the Bat: The only treasure in this chateau is your friendly faces! I checked. Most of the guests in this place are wearing gold plating and rhinestones.
- Cream the Rabbit: Good morning, Ms. Rouge!
- Amy Rose: Do you think it's a good example to be setting for Cream?
- Rouge the Bat: Definitely not! Cream, remember, if you're ever going to loot a hotel, make sure the guests are loaded first.
- (Shadow kicks Clutch while holding E-123's head)
- E-123 Omega: (only has head) ANALYSIS COMPLETE: SHADOW'S PLAN IS BETTER THAN ROUGE'S!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: So you'd say... the Eggnet is hard to crack? I said, the eggnet is hard to crack? Y'know 'cause eggs, and cracking... Nevermind. It's official. This is the least fun trip to a secret Eggman base I've ever been on.
- Belle the Tinkerer: Oh no! I am so sorry, it's a reflex, I can't control it, honest! I'm not a Badnik, I don't even know how to fight! P-please don't use your buzzsaw hair on me.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: (holding Belle and running) Hold on tight, we're gettin' out of here. Keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times!
- Belle the Tinkerer: Locks? I can do locks!
- Sonic the Hedgehog You can?
- Belle the Tinkerer: (reveals to have an assortment of tools in her fingers) If there's something that could use a little tinkering, I'm your girl.
- Amy Rose: If only Sonic were here...! (slaps cheeks repeatedly) No! You aren't going to let this big, dumb, jerk push you around! You're gonna handle it yourself!
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Hey, you! It's rude to throw roller coasters at people! I expect a full apology!
- Doctor Starline: So, what'll be? Save your friends, or hundreds of ignorant innocents waiting in the chateau?
Team Sonic Racing One-shotEdit
Written by Caleb Goellner
Sonic the Hedgehog AnnualEdit
Bonds of Friendship, written by Ian Flynn
- Tangle the Lemur: We grew up together!
- Jewel the Beetle: Only because I was looking out for you. You're the antithesis of "Look before you leap."
- Tangle the Lemur: True!
- Tangle the Lemur: That's my bestest friend! Let her go or I start bustin' beaks!
- Jet the Hawk: Is that so? Well, too bad! Finders keepers! You want her back so much, then how about we race for her?
- Wave the Swallow: Jet! Are you out of your mind?! We're thieves, not kidnappers! Just let her go!
Jet Set Tornado, written by Caleb Goellner
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Welp! Booster works!
- Tails: Sometimes engineering brains... are a burden.
- Tails: You want back at the controls? You seem to have learned your piloting lesson.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: I would. It's just... ...I have more fun when you fly.
- Tails: What? But-
- Sonic the Hedgehog: And landings aren't really my thing. After all... ...you gotta go slow.
Victory Garden, written by Evan Stanley and Gigi Dutreix
- (Blaze the Cat's monologue)
- A gardener's greatest skill isn't control, or planning, or power...
- It's listening.
- The plants know exactly what to do, and will tell you what they need to do it.
- All you must do is listen...
- ...and provide.
Curse of the Pyramid, written by Cavan Scott
- Rough the Skunk: See you around sister! May the best tomb raiders win!
- Tumble the Skunk: That's us... Right, Rough?
- Rough the Skunk: Just shut up and run, Tumble. Shut up and run.
Sonic Fan Club, written by James Kochalka
- Tangle the Lemur: Sonic Fan Club?! You guys should have a Tangle Fan Club instead! Watch what I can do! (punches Egg Pawn with tail then continues tail-twisting action) Take that and this! And that! (reveals to be tangled up) No, wait. Maybe not like that. Hey, what happened?
- Deer child: While you were tying yourself in knots, Sonic zoomed over and smashed the Buttnik and saved us all!
- Mouse child: He was amazing!
Big's Big Adventure, written by Ian Flynn
- (Big the Cat's monologue)
- I'll be honest, good buddy. I was awful lonely and a little afraid.
- But I knew you had be lonely and scared, too, all on your own. So I kept looking.
- I was at the last spot to double-check when it happened...
- I found you!
- Big the Cat: (holding Froggy) I'm so happy to have you back, safe and sound! Now all our troubles are over!
- But I was wrong. Strange monsters were on the road!
- Big the Cat: (whacking Zombots with fish pole) I'm not gonna let you get my best buddy!
- And you were brave too!
- I made sure they couldn't follow us and we ran all the way home!
- Big the Cat: And you know the rest 'cause... that's it! We're home, safe and sound! You must be pretty tired, 'cause you haven't said much since we got back. (sight of Big and the environment being zombified) That's okay. We're such good friends, I know what you're thinking. I'm happy to be home with you, too.
Darkest Hour, written by Evan Stanley
- Nite the Owl: Hey! Can ya keep it down? I'm trying to save lives over here!
- Don the Rooster: And I'm trying to save you! Hammers don't come with a "mute" button, ya diva.
Reflections, written by Caleb Goellner
- Doctor Starline: (to Metal Sonic) Ahem! Are your sensors malfunctioning? I said, "Get out!" (Metal Sonic leaves) I can't believe this. The Doctor's greatest creation shambling around my lab like a zombot.
Eggman's Day Off, written by Sarah Graley
- Doctor Eggman: And with these toy robots, I like to figure out strategies and battle plans for the week ahead, and, well... (bashing Eggman and Sonic toys together) ...perhaps evil never really takes a break, does it? Ha ha ha! (realizes toy Sonic knocked toy Eggman's head off) WHAT?! THAT CURSED HEDGEHOG, FOREVER A PAIN IN MY--
Flock Together, written by Sam King
- Vector the Crocodile: Ha! Look at us! Even in the zombie apocalypse... (looks at Zombot Charmy trapped in capsule) ...the Chaotix always finds what we're lookin' for.
The Catalyst, written by Gigi Dutreix
- Jewel the Beetle: (calling on communication device) T-Tangle? We need your help.
- Deer child: GAAH! I-it's the ship from before!
- Jewel the Beetle: There's a ship over our village. I assume it's Eggman's... it doesn't look good.
- Tangle the Lemur: Jewel? You here? I came as fast as I could! Are you okay? Are you... (Zombot Jewel is behind her) s-still you?
Sonic the Hedgehog: Tangle & WhisperEdit
Written by Ian Flynn
#1 - ImposterEdit
- Tangle the Lemur: I'm sorry for being a pest, it's just... ....after everything I've done with Sonic, things are so boring here! I fought robot invasions! Flying battle ships! I met a fiery princess from another dimension! I pulled the wings off a giant robo-dragon! And I come home to peace. And quiet. I can't stand it.
- Jewel the Beetle: You've always been like that. So what's stopping you from being like Sonic? Going out there and finding your own adventures?
- Tangle the Lemur: I've thought about it. Sure, it's tempting, but what if something does happen here? Eggman's robots attacked once. It could happen again.
- Jewel the Beetle: And it'd be the first time you'd be flying solo. Lonely before you leave?
- Tangle the Lemur: That, and nervous. I wouldn't have you watch my back.
- We've chased each other in circles long enough. I'll be waiting for you to settle things for once and for all: 15-(cutoff)
- Mimic's invitation
#2 - AmbushEdit
- Mimic: You scouted every angle and found no other way in, so here you come, walking in the front door. This must be torture for you. And you brought that delightful rube from Spiral Hill with you. Didn't learn your lesson? Then again, that was always your weakness. You couldn't do much outside of the old gang. Now you're using all our wisps as a clutch. A very effective clutch, admittedly. Credit where it's due- you put me on the run. But then you went and let your guard down. Took a timeout with your little friends. Tsk-tsk. Part of me wishes we could settle this just between us... ...But since you insist bringing on the yokel... ...I'll just let have to let you handicap yourself.
- Tangle the Lemur: Wait! I know I screwed up! I knew Mimic's game, and he still tricked me! But it won't happen again!
- Whisper the Wolf: (whispering) No.
- Tangle the Lemur: Please don't do this! Let me prove I'm not a failure!
- Whisper the Wolf (whispering) You're not.
- Tangle the Lemur: Then why?!
- Whisper the Wolf: I won't lost another friend! I can't!
#3 - BetrayalEdit
- Mimic: (talking to the camera) Then again... I have her Wispon. And he wouldn't know my mask from hers... ...I can turn these into "proof". That gets Eggman off my back, and there's nothing to fear from an unarmed coward. Ha! It should be criminal to be this smooth.
- Tangle the Lemur: I know I asked for it but... ...Why would you hold onto that footage?
- Whisper the Wolf: (whispering) Never forget. Never forgive.
- Tangle the Lemur: Ahh... That's why you took that new Wispon and a small army of little friends. To keep fighting as the Guardian Angel of the Battlefield.
- Whisper the Wolf: (whispering) Their name for me. Not my idea.
- (Text on ground reading: WE END THIS WHERE WE STARTED)
- Mimic: (communicating to Eggman) I'm going to need backup, because who wants a fair fight?
#4 - ShowdownEdit
- Tangle the Lemur: Was it worth it? Betraying all your friends, just to save yourself?
- Mimic: They weren't my friends. They weren't even my comrades. They were means to an end. I was in it to reap the rewards. When their big crusade put my life on line, it wasn't a difficult choice. Heroes become martyrs. Professionals stay alive.
- (Whisper is about to shoot Mimic)
- Tangle the Lemur: Whisper? L-listen to me, okay? Don't do this. Badniks are one thing, but this is different. I know what he's done, and it's unforgivable. But if you do this, you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life. Wouldn't it be be worse for him to be caught? To live with the shame of losing to you? He'll wake up every day knowing he completely, utterly failed.
Sonic the Hedgehog: Bad GuysEdit
Written by Ian Flynn
#1 - A Few Bad MenEdit
- Mimic: Don't sell me short, warden. I'm a professional. I don't care if you don't approve of my work.
- Zavok: So this plan of yours... is for my benefit?
- Doctor Starline: Yes, sir. We all stand to gain by it, but I hereby pledge myself to you.
- Zavok: Then you shall be my Deadly Four.
- Doctor Starline: Oh, thank you, sir.
#2 - Smash & GrabEdit
- (Doctor Starline's monologue)
- Mimic betrayed his entire team to Dr. Eggman. He's only in this to become harder to track.
- He's too dangerous. Too dangerous to let loose after all of this.
- Rough and Tumble are dumb, blunt objects. But they're driven and vengeful. Just the sort to cause problems at the wrong time.
- It'd be safer if they were eliminated too.
- And Zavok--oh-ho-ho, Zavok. Easily the most dangerous one here.
- Giving him any amount of power is a gamble. Letting him keep it? Out of the question.
- Tumble the Skunk: Aw, man! It ain't getting up after that one!
- Rough the Skunk: (walking out of the mouth of a destroyed T-rex Badnik) Musta been something I ate! Haw!
- Doctor Starline: I am honestly impressed.
- Mimic: I am too, and I hate it.
#3 - Trust IssuesEdit
- Tumble the Skunk: Okay =ahem= You better not whine!
- Rough the Skunk: You better not grumble!
- Tumble the Skunk: It's bout to get tough!
- Rough the Skunk: We've got a new gimmick!
- Tumble the Skunk: Get ready for havoc!
- Rough the Skunk: It's Starline, Tumble, Rough, Mimic, and Zavok!
- (Tumble gives an awkward smile while Zavok looks in annoyance)
- Rough the Skunk: Y'all are a buncha ingrates! That was inspired!
- Doctor Eggman: Oh-ho-ho-ho! Somebody is about to learn a lesson in humility. Because they're about to suffer a humiliating defeat!
#4 - No Honor Among ThievesEdit
- Zavok: It's over, Doctor. Even before today, you were always a failure. You're not fit to be Eggman's successor. Your planning was sloppy. Your discarding of your comrades, needlessly cruel. All of it compounded by your unearned sense of pride. (beat, revealing to have Starline eavesdropping on Zavok) On second thought, all that makes you exactly like Eggman.
- (Doctor Starline's monologue)
- I won't be conquering the world to prove myself to Dr. Eggman. I'll conquer it to prove it to myself.
- And I won't be proving I'm Eggman's equal.
- I'll prove I'm his superior replacement.
Sonic the Hedgehog 30th Anniversary CelebrationEdit
Seasons of Chaos, written by Ian Flynn
Dr. Eggman's Birthday, written by Gale Galligan
About Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW Publishing)Edit
- Sonic the Hedgehog comics have been a constant source of joy and inspiration for me for well over ten years, and the truth is, this opportunity is a dream I didn’t believe could come true. The world of Sonic has a truly amazing creative legacy, and I’ve always pushed myself to make my contributions as meaningful and worthwhile as they can be — and that’s more important than ever now. I hope I can deepen the world of IDW’s Sonic The Hedgehog comics, exploring new places and characters while continuing to deliver exciting adventures about Sonic and his friends!
- Evan Stanley, IDW Publishing, "Sonic The Hedgehog™ Comic Book Series Welcomes Longtime Artist Evan Stanley as Ongoing Writer", (April 14, 2020)