2013 South Korean film directed by Bong Joon-ho
Snowpiercer is a 2013 film set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges.
Fight your way to the front. (taglines)
- You ever been to the tail section? Do you have any idea what went on back there? When we boarded? It was chaos. Yeah, we didn't freeze to death, but we didn't have time to be thankful. Wilford's soldiers came and they took everything. A thousand people in an iron box. No food, no water... After a month, we ate the weak... You know what I hate about myself? I know what people taste like. I know that babies taste best... There was a woman. She was hiding with her baby. And some men with knives came. They killed her and they took her baby. And then an old man-no relation, just an old man-stepped forward and he said, "Give me the knife." And everyone thought he'd kill the baby himself. But he took the knife and he cut off his arm. And he said, "Eat this, if you're so hungry. Eat this, just leave the baby." I had never seen anything like that. And the men put down their knives... You've probably guessed who that old man was. That baby was Edgar. And I was the man with the knife. I killed Edgar's mother... And then one by one, other people in the tail section started cutting off arms and legs and offering them. It was like a miracle. And I wanted to. I tried, it's... A month later, Wilford's soldiers brought those protein blocks. We've been eatin' that shit ever since. 18 years I've hated Wilford. 18 years I've waited for this moment. And now I'm here... Open the gate. Please.
- Have you ever been alone on this train? When was the last time you were alone? You can't remember, can you? So please do. Take your time.
- When's the last time you got laid? Like Gilliam said, holding a woman is much better with two arms.
- I believe it is easier for people to survive on this train if they have some level of insanity. As Gilliam well understood, you need to maintain a proper balance of anxiety and fear and chaos and horror in order to keep life going. And if we don't have that, we need to invent it. In that sense, the Great Curtis Revolution you invented was truly a masterpiece.
- You've seen what people do without leadership. They devour one another.
- Order is the barrier that holds back the flood of death. We must all of us on this train of life remain in our allotted station. We must each of us occupy our preordained particular position. Would you wear a shoe on your head? Of course you wouldn't wear a shoe on your head. A shoe doesn't belong on your head. A shoe belongs on your foot. A hat belongs on your head. I am a hat. You are a shoe. I belong on the head. You belong on the foot. Yes? So it is. In the beginning, order was proscribed by your ticket: First Class, Economy, and freeloaders like you. Eternal order is prescribed by the sacred engine: all things flow from the sacred engine, all things in their place, all passengers in their section, all water flowing. all heat rising, pays homage to the sacred engine, in its own particular preordained position. So it is. Now, as in the beginning, I belong to the front. You belong to the tail. When the foot seeks the place of the head, the sacred line is crossed. Know your place. Keep your place. Be a shoe.
- My friend, you suffer from the misplaced optimism of the doomed.
- Magdalena: I heard all Tail Sectioners were lazy dogs and they all drink their own shit.
- Male Reporter: Good morning. On this day, July 1st, 2014, at this hour, 0600, we are at the first airport in the world...
- Female Reporter: The topic of so much controversy over the past seven years has continued development. Protests from environmental groups and a number of developing countries continue. But in accordance with...
- Male Reporter: It had been claimed that CW7 is the answer to global warning. And we are witnessing it...
- Female Reporter: Leaders argue that global warming can no longer be ignored. Today, 79 countries will begin dispersing CW7 into the upper layers of the atmosphere.
- Male Reporter: ...In the upper layers of the atmosphere, and surprisingly bring down the average global temperature to the finest levels. It is just a day away that...
- Female Reporter: ...upper layers of the atmosphere. According to scientists, the artificial cooling substance, CW7, will succeed in bringing average global temperatures down to manageable levels, as the revolutionary solution to mankind's warming of the planet.
- Edgar: What does steak taste like again? I had it once, but I can't remember.
- Curtis: If you can't remember then it's better to forget.
- Edgar: What does it smell like when it's cooked? It must emanate around the place.
- Curtis: We have 4 seconds to go through three gates and bust Nam out.
- Gilliam: Then Nam gets us the rest of the way. Our fate depends on this man.
- Curtis: Yeah. If we can get him to cooperate, he can take us all the way to the front of the train.
- Gilliam: Very front section?
- Curtis: Yeah. From here right to the front of the train. Everything in one stroke. We control the engine, we control the world. Without that, we have nothing. All past revolutions have failed because they couldn't take the engine.
- Gilliam: What are you saying?
- Curtis: This time we take the engine.
- Gilliam: Then what?
- Curtis: We kill them.
- Gilliam: Wilford?
- Curtis: You should run the train now, not Wilford.
- Gilliam: I am a shadow of my former shadow. My day was decades ago.
- Namgoong Minsoo: [in Korean] You want a smoke too, asshole? It's too good for shit like you.
- Curtis: I'm gonna make this real simple for you. You help us, you get your drug. If not, we put you back where we found you. What'll it be, asshole?
- Tanya: Look at all those beds... Where is everybody?
- Edgar: Looks like they were in a hurry.
- Wilford: Curtis, everyone has their preordained position, and everyone is in their place except you.
- Curtis: That's what people in the best place say to the people in the worst place.
- Fight your way to the front.
- AD 2031: the passengers in the train are the only survivors on Earth.
- We move forward.