English journalist and broadcaster
- Curiously, it is hard not to be a little optimistic about the future for Zimbabwe (as nobody at all calls it yet, except in political speeches). The fear is not that there will be mass slaughter of the whites, followed by their flight to South Africa and the collapse of the economy, but that the need to retain white confidence may mean that the blacks are badly disappointed.
- The Guardian (9 February 1980)
- Mr Arbuthnot did not respond, but sat with a thin, weak smile, like winter sunshine upon a coffin lid.
- [http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,793988,00.html Quoted by Rod Liddle, The Guardian (18 September 2002)
- Peter Mandelson is the only man I know who can skulk in broad daylight.
- The Guardian (11 September 2004))
- Reagan is the only man to take the presidency as a part-time job, a means of filling up the otherwise empty hours of retirement.
- [http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2004/sep/11/politics.guardiancolumnists The Guardian (11 September 2004)