A silencer, suppressor, sound suppressor, or sound moderator is a muzzle device that reduces the sound intensity and muzzle flash when a firearm or air gun is discharged. It can be a detachable accessory to, or integral part of, the muzzle or barrel. A typical silencer is a metal cylinder with internal sound baffles that slow and cool the escaping propellant gas, which decreases both sound volume and muzzle blast.
|This article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Hertz: Do you know why a gun is better than a wife?
- Man Who Rides Shotgun: Dunno.
- Hertz: Well, you can put a silencer on a gun.
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007), by Michael Davis, New Line Cinema
- Encyclopedic article on Silencer (firearms) at Wikipedia