American actress (1920-2006)
|This Actor article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Every now and then, when you're onstage, you hear the best sound a player can hear. It's a sound you can't get in movies or in television. It is the sound of a wonderful, deep silence that means you've hit them where they live.
- I think the purpose of the actor is to illuminate the human condition. When you go to a film and you see a good actor, it's because you identify with them—you know what they're feeling—and a good actor draws, I believe, from their own experience. And when it's true for him, it's true for you. If a director imposes a performance or you try to mimic somebody, it can be funny or brilliant, but it isn't moving.
- On acting, interview with Skip E. Lowe (1989)
- A pretty face is a passport.
- Quoted by Julie Burchill, Sex & sensibility (1992), p. 55