Sally Margaret Field Mahoney (born November 6, 1946) is an American actress who is a two-time Academy Award, a two-time Golden Globe winner and a three-time Emmy Award winner, who became a household name at the age of 16, as the titular character in Gidget (1965-66), and later as Sister Bertrille in the sitcom, The Flying Nun (1967-70).
- I haven't had an orthodox career, and I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it, and I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!
- Said during Field's Oscar acceptance speech for Best Actress in 1984's Places in the Heart
- Often misremembered as, "You like me. You really like me!"
- Echoed by Sean Penn in his 1996 acceptance of the Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead in Dead Man Walking as, "You tolerate me. You really tolerate me!"
- Waxman, Sharon (1999-03-21). "The Oscar Acceptance Speech: By and Large, It's a Lost Art". Washington Post. Retrieved on 2006-12-31.