Sabrina (1954 film)
1954 romantic comedy movie directed by Billy Wilder
- Directed by Billy Wilder. Written by Billy Wilder and Ernest Lehman, based on Samuel Taylor's play Sabrina Fair.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- [voiceover] I have learned so many things, Father. Not just how to make vichyssoise or calf's head with sauce vinaigrette, but a much more important recipe. I have learned how to live, how to be in the world and of the world, and not just to stand aside and watch. And I will never, never again run away from life, or from love, either.
- Paris is for lovers. Maybe that's why I stayed only 35 minutes.
- Baron St. Fontanel: You're in love. And I will venture to go a step further, you are unhappily in love.
- Sabrina: Does it show?
- Baron St. Fontanel: Very clearly. A woman happily in love, she burns the soufflé. A woman unhappily in love, she forgets to turn on the oven. Am I correct?
- Sabrina: Yes. But I'm trying to get over it.
- Baron St. Fontanel: Why try to get over it? You speak of love like it was a bad cough.
- Sabrina: He doesn't even know I exist. I might as well be reaching for the moon.
- Baron St. Fontanel: The moon? [laughs] You young people, you are so old-fashioned! Have you not heard? We are building rockets to reach the moon!
- Sabrina: But don't you see, Father? Everything has changed!
- Father: Nothing has changed. He's still David Larrabee, and you're still the chauffeur's daughter. And you're still reaching for the moon.
- Sabrina: No, Father. The moon is reaching for me.
- [Linus and Sabrina are dancing]
- Linus: Sabrina?
- Sabrina: Mmm?
- Linus: If David were here now, you'd expect him to kiss you, wouldn't you?
- Sabrina: Mmm.
- Linus: Here's a kiss from David. [They kiss] It's all in the family.
- Linus: How do you say in French, "My sister has a yellow pencil"?
- Sabrina: "Ma sœur a un crayon jaune."
- Linus: How do you say, "My brother has a lovely girl"?
- Sabrina: "Mon frère a une gentille petite amie."
- Linus: And how do you say, "I wish I were my brother"?
- All's fair in love . . . with Sabrina Fair and her men!
- ...the chauffeur's daughter who learned her stuff in Paris!
- Humphrey Bogart – Linus Larrabee
- Audrey Hepburn – Sabrina Fairchild
- William Holden – David Larrabee
- Walter Hampden – Oliver Larrabee
- John Williams – Thomas Fairchild
- Martha Hyer – Elizabeth Tyson
- Joan Vohs – Gretchen Van Horn
- Marcel Dalio – Baron St. Fontanel
- Marcel Hillaire – The Professor
- Nella Walker – Maude Larrabee
- Francis X. Bushman – Mr. Tyson
- Ellen Corby – Miss McCardle