Rule of Saint Benedict
book of precepts
The Rule of Saint Benedict (Latin: Regula Sancti Benedicti) is a book of precepts written in 516 by Benedict of Nursia.
- The Rule of Saint Benedict as edited by Timothy Fry, O. S. B (1981)
- A man born free is not to be given higher rank than a slave who becomes a monk, except for some other good reason.
- p. 9
- Your way of acting should be different from the world's way.
- p. 12
- If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not yourself, but remain certain that the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.
- p. 13
- Guard your lips from harmful or deceptive speech.
- p. 13
- There are times when good words are to be left unsaid out of esteem for silence.
- p. 15