Panamanian singer, actor, politician and activist
Rubén Blades Bellido de Luna (born July 16, 1948), known professionally as Rubén Blades, is a Panamanian singer, songwriter, actor, musician, activist, and politician.
- The bully got bullied...and that was happening in all levels of society: governments were treating people badly, authorities were not doing what they were supposed to do and people saw in that example, a way of getting even.
- On the song "Pedro Navaja" in "Rubén Blades" in PBS
- I grew up surrounded by all types of music...You have to remember, Panama is a port so I always had contact with all types of music—from the big bands of Count Basie to all the Cuban bands of people like Benny Moré.
- On all of the musical influences that he was exposed to in Panama in "Forty Years Into His Career, Rubén Blades is Still Building Bridges & Inspiring Change" in bandcamp daily
- I like to think of it as like watching The Godfather...You might have seen it 1,000 times, but when it comes on it makes you stop. Each time you see it, you find something different. That’s what I want people to get from my music.
- On comparing the longevity of his music to The Godfather in "Forty Years Into His Career, Rubén Blades is Still Building Bridges & Inspiring Change" in bandcamp daily
- There's a moment in everybody's life...where you have more past than future, and then you better start organizing your time. So I thought maybe this is the time to do this. I'm not keen on people following me and recording my life and asking personal questions and what-not, but I figured I had to do it.
- On the documentary Ruben Blades Is Not My Name in "Inside Ruben Blades: New Documentary Showcases the Man Behind the Music" in Afropop Worldwide (2018 Apr 10)