Roy Kelton Orbison (April 23, 1936 – December 6, 1988) was an American singer, songwriter, and musician known for his impassioned singing style, complex song structures, and dark, emotional ballads.
All tracks are written by Roy Orbison and Joe Melson, except where indicated.
Lonely and Blue (1961)Edit
- There goes my baby,
There goes my heart.
They're gone forever,
So far apart.
But only the lonely
Only the lonely.
- I was alright for awhile;
I could smile for awhile.
But I saw you last night,
You held my hand so tight,
As you stopped to say, "Hello".
Oh, you wished me well,
You couldn't tell
That I'd been crying over you.
Crying over you.
When you said, "So long"
Left me standing all alone,
Alone and crying, crying.
- Just runnin' scared each place we go,
So afraid that he might show.
Yeah, runnin' scared, what would I do
If he came back and wanted you?
- A candy-colored clown they call the sandman
Tiptoes to my room every night
Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper
"Go to sleep. Everything is all right."
I close my eyes, then I drift away.
Into the magic night, I softly say
A silent prayer like dreamers do.
Then I fall asleep to dreams, my dreams of you.
- "In Dreams", written by Roy Orbison
- Saving nickels, saving dimes,
Working 'till the sun don't shine,
Looking forward to happier times
On Blue Bayou.
I'm going back some day,
Come what may, to Blue Bayou.
Where you sleep all day
And the catfish play, on Blue Bayou.
- Tender nights before they fly
Send falling stars that seem to cry.
Your baby doesn't want you anymore,
- Pretty woman walking down the street.
Pretty woman, the kind I'd like to meet.
Pretty woman... I don't believe you, you're not the truth.
No one could look as good as you.
- "Oh, Pretty Woman", written by Roy Orbison and Bill Dees
Mystery Girl (1988)Edit
- Every time I look into your lovely eyes,
I see a love that money just can't buy.
One look from you, I drift away.
I pray that you are here to stay.
Anything you want, you got it.
Anything you need, you got it.
Anything at all, you got it.
- Workin' all day and the sun don't shine,
Trying to get by and I'm just killing time.
I feel the rain fall the whole night through,
Far away from you California blue.
- "California Blue", written by Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, and Tom Petty