Roger & Me
1989 film by Michael Moore
- Written and directed by Michael Moore.
The story of a rebel and his mike. tagline
- Well, the million tourists never came to Flint. The Hyatt went bankrupt and was put up for sale, Waterstreet Pavillion saw most of its stores go out of business, and only six months after opening, Autoworld closed due to a lack of visitors. I guess it was like expecting a million people a year to go to New Jersey to Chemicalworld, or a million people going to Valdez, Alaska for Exxonworld. Some people just don't like to celebrate human tragedy while on vacation.
- Well I failed to bring Roger to Flint. As we neared the end of the twentieth century, the rich were richer, the poor, poorer. And people everywhere now had a lot less lint, thanks to the lint rollers made in my hometown. It was truly the dawn of a new era.
- Meanwhile, the more fortunate in Flint were holding their annual Great Gatsby party at the home of one of GM's founding families. To show that they weren't totally insensitive to the plight of others, they hired local people to be human statues at the party.
- Although most people in Flint were now too poor to afford a room at the Hyatt, the hotel allowed the public on opening day to ride the city's only escalator.
- My favorite was the exhibit sponsored by General Motors: a puppet auto worker singing a love song to the robot replacing him on the assembly line. The song was called "Me and My Buddy".
Deputy Fred RossEdit
- These people who buy their kids new school clothes instead of paying the rent need to change their system.
- I can't imagine somebody getting married to someone as poor as you. It gets kind of rough. Put two poor people in the same house... I always tell women "You can be poor by yourself, you don't need any help". And she just got some help, being poor.
- Michael Moore: How does it feel driving through Flint Michigan today and so many people being laid off...so many plants being shut down?
- Kaye Lani Rae Rafko: How does it feel? I feel like a big supporter. That's how. Does it matter of what?
- The story of a rebel and his mike.