1985 film directed by Sylvester Stallone
Rocky IV is a 1985 American action film about the titular character, Rocky Balboa, coming out of retirement to avenge Apollo Creed's death during a fight against up-and-coming Soviet boxer Ivan Drago.
- Directed and written by Sylvester Stallone.
- [remembers Creed at his funeral] There's a lot I could say about this man, but I don't know if it matters now. I guess what matters is what he stood for, what he lived for, and what he died for. You always did everything the way you wanted it. And I didn't understand that, but now I understand. I'll never forget you, Apollo. You're the best.
- [addresses Russian crowd after the fight, with Russian announcer as translator] I came here tonight, I didn't know what to expect. I seen a lot of people hate me and I didn't know what to feel about that so I guess I didn't like you much neither. During this fight, I've seen a lot of changing, the way you felt about me, and in the way I felt about you. In here, there were two guys killing each other, but I guess that's better than 20 million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!
- [coldly interviewed about possibly having killed Apollo Creed during their fight] If he dies, he dies.
- [to Rocky after seeing Drago close to cracking under the strain] You got him hurt bad. Now he's worried. You cut him! You hurt him! You see? You see? He's not a machine. He's a man! You want it more than he does! No pain! [Duke repeats it three times, and Rocky echoes him each time] Take it to him!
- [Drago's putting the pressure on Apollo Creed, who still wants to fight on]
- Rocky: Champ, look, I gotta stop it. This fight's finished! I gotta call it!
- Apollo Creed: No, no.
- Rocky: Look, champ, you can't do no more out there!
- Apollo: I'm here to fight.
- Rocky: He's killing ya. I gotta stop this thing.
- Apollo: I'm here to fight, promise me you're not gonna stop this fight.
- [at a press conference after the Creed-Drago fight, things get too hot]
- Female Reporter: Rocky, is the decision final?
- Rocky: Yes.
- Male Reporter #1: Is this the first time the champion has given up his crown?
- Rocky: I don't know about that.
- Male Reporter #2: Doesn't the title matter?
- Rocky: Not until this is over.
- Male Reporter #3: Considering Rocky's punching power, do you still expect an easy fight?
- Rimsky: Yes, of course.
- Nicolai Koloff: It's a matter of size and...evolution. Isn't it, gentlemen? Drago is the most perfectly trained athlete ever. This other man has not the size, or the endurance, or the genetics to win. It's physically impossible for this little man to win. Drago...is a look at the future.
- Male Reporter #4: Champ, how much are you making for this fight?
- Rocky: No money. It's not about money.
- [Paulie looks over to Rocky]
- Female Reporter: Has the fight date been set yet?
- Rocky: December 25th.
- [Koloff grins]
- Male Reporter #1: Why Christmas?
- Rocky: That's what I was told.
- Female Reporter: Where?
- Rocky: ...It's in Russia.
- Paulie: Are you nuts?
- Male Reporter #2: Rocky, what's going on?
- Koloff: We fight in Soviet Union, or we fight nowhere. Why don't you ask Drago's wife why she is afraid? Tell them, please.
- Ludmilla Drago: I'm afraid for my husband's life. We have threats of violence everywhere. We're not in politics. All I want is for my husband to be safe, and to be treated fairly. You call him a killer. He's a professional fighter, not a killer. You have this belief that you are better than us. You have this belief that this country is so very good, and we are so very bad. You have this belief that you are so fair and we are so very cruel.
- Koloff: It's all lies and false propaganda to support this antagonistic and violent government.
- Paulie: [miffed at remark] Whoa. Violent? Hey, we don't keep our people behind a wall with machine guns.
- Koloff: Who are you?
- Paulie: Who am I? I'm...the unsilent majority, bigmouth! [tries to attack Koloff]
- Koloff: Good! Yes, good! Insult us! Is more typical rude behavior towards visiting foreigners! But perhaps this simple defeat of this [points to Rocky] little so-called champion will be a perfect example of how pathetically weak your society has become. We go! [leaves press conference with Ludmilla]
- [After Round 1 against Ivan Drago]
- Duke: Alright, what's happening out there?
- Rocky: He's winning...I see three of him out there.
- Paulie: Hit the one in the middle!
- Duke: Right! Hit the one in the middle!
- [After Round 14 against Ivan Drago]
- Rocky: What round is it?
- Duke: 15. One more round. There's no stoppin' us now. This is our round.
- [As the crowd chants "Rocky! Rocky!", Nicoli Koloff leaves his seat at the Soviet Poliburo to go to ringside]
- Duke: No stoppin' now! You start and you don't stop! All your strength! All your power! All your love! Everything you've got!
- [Nicolai Koloff goes to Drago's corner to speak to Rimsky]
- Nicolai Koloff: [in Russian] You trained this fool. He's a disgrace. [Вы обучили этого дурака. Он позор.] [to Drago] Listen to them.... [Послушай их ....] Our people cheer for HIM!... You idiot! [Наши люди болеют за Него! ... Ты идиот.] [shoves Drago's head] WIN! [ВЫИГРАТЬ!]
- [Drago turns, glares at Koloff, and grabs him by the throat]
- Ludmilla Drago: [shouts to Drago, in Russian] No! [Нет!!] [Drago drops Koloff]
- Ivan Drago: [to Koloff, in Russian] I fight to win! For me! [Я борюсь, чтобы победить! Для меня!] [turns to the Soviet Poliburo] FOR ME!! [ДЛЯ МЕНЯ!!]
- [Meanwhile, at Rocky's corner...]
- Duke: To win, you gotta knock him out! Punch and punch, till you can't punch no more! This is your whole life here!
- Paulie: Yeah, knock him out, Rocko.
- Duke: [as bell rings] Do it now! Now!!
- Get ready for the next world war.
- When East Meets West, the Champion remains standing