|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- All we can ever do is lay a word in the hands of those who have put one in ours.
- Galatea 2.2
- Science is not about control. It is about cultivating a perpetual sense of wonder in the face of something that forever grows one step richer and subtle than our latest theory about it. It is about reverence, not mastery.
- The Goldbug Variations
- What he had done, how he had chosen to spend his energies, really was science. A way of looking, reverencing. And the purpose of all science, like living, which amounts to the same thing, was not the accumulations of Gnostic power, fixing of formulas for the names of God, stockpiling brutal efficiency, accomplishing the sadistic myth of progress. the purpose of science was to revive and cultivate a perpetual state of wonder. For nothing deserved wonder so much as our capacity to feel it.
- The Goldbug Variations, pg. 611
- Encyclopedic article on Richard Powers on Wikipedia