1988 film directed by Peter MacDonald
Rambo III is a 1988 action film that is part of the Rambo franchise. It stars Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo, a former soldier who goes to Afghanistan to rescue his mentor, Col. Sam Trautman, from Soviet captivity.
- Directed by Peter MacDonald. Screenplay by Sylvester Stallone and Sheldon Lettich.
The first was for himself. The second for his country. This time it's for his friend. (taglines)
John Rambo Edit
- [Reply to the Afghan freedom fighter who inquired if he had used guns in the past] I've fired a few shots.
Colonel Trautman Edit
- [tries to convince Rambo to join him in Afghanistan] There was a sculptor. He found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months until he finally finished it. When he was ready he showed it to his friends. They said he had created a great masterpiece, but the sculptor said he hadn't created anything. The statue was always there, he just chipped away the rough edges.
- Colonel Trautman: You expect sympathy? You started this damn war, now you'll have to deal with it.
- Zaysen: And we will. It is just a matter of time before we achieve a complete victory.
- Trautman: Yeah, well, there won't be a victory. Every day, your war machines lose ground to a bunch of poorly-armed, poorly-equipped freedom fighters. The fact is that you underestimated your competition. If you'd studied your history, you'd know that these people have never given up to anyone. They'd rather die than be slaves to an invading army. You can't defeat a people like that. We tried; we already had our Vietnam! Now you're gonna have yours.
- Zaysen: So, you wish to test me? Good.
- Mousa: This is Afghanistan... Alexander the Great try to conquer this country... then Genghis Khan, then the British. Now Russia. But Afghan people fight hard, they never be defeated. Ancient enemy make prayer about these people... you wish to hear?
- Rambo: Um-hum.
- Mousa: Very good. It says, "May God deliver us from the venom of the Cobra, teeth of the tiger, and the vengeance of the Afghan." Understand what this means?
- Rambo: That you guys don't take any shit?
- Mousa: Yes... something like this.
- [Hamid the boy is curious about Rambo]
- Hamid: Where do you come from?
- John Rambo: Arizona.
- Hamid: How many days' walk?
- Rambo: Two years.
- [The Soviets have attacked a mujahideen hideout]
- Masoud: [to Rambo] Now you see how it is here. Somewhere in the war there's supposed to be honor. Where's the honor here? Where? Now, we're taking the survivors to the border. Are you coming?
- Rambo: I'm going to the fort.
- Masoud: Have you not seen enough death? Go! Go while you can! This isn't your war.
- Rambo: It is now.
- Masoud: So be it. You're a good friend.
- [Col. Zaysen tries to contact his troops but hears a strange voice]
- Zaysen: Who are you?
- Rambo: Your worst nightmare.
- [Soviet forces block Trautman and Rambo as they try to escape Afghanistan]
- Zaysen: Drop your weapons! Now! You have no chance of escape! Come forward! I wish to take you back alive! This is your last warning! The choice is yours!
- Colonel Trautman: What do you say John?
- John Rambo:...Fuck 'em. [opens fire]
- God would have mercy. Rambo won't!
- The first was for himself. The second for his country. This time it's for his friend.