Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown
1977 film by Bill Melendez, Phil Roman
Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown is a 1977 animated film in which the Peanuts gang goes to summer camp and participates in a river-raft race against some cheating bullies.
- Directed by Bill Meléndez. Written by Charles M. Schulz.
- Why can't I have a normal dog like everybody else?
- Well, lots of things have happened to me, and I'm glad I did what I did. You know, I was never sure how I'd be able to stand up under pressure and how I'd make decisions, and I feel good about myself for the first time in my life! I think now that dumb things won't happen to me anymore. I feel like I'm more in control! [bus door closes and bus takes off] HEY! DON'T FORGET ME! [sighs] Snoopy, the bus took off, and they forgot me! Can you give me a lift?
- [First Lines while traveling on a bus, Sally waves to a boy and girl outside, but the girl sticks her tongue out at her] Did you see that? She stuck her tongue out at me! I waved at that little kid and she stuck her tongue out at me! Boy, if I could get off this bus, I'd go back there and punch her lights out!
- [Everybody is writing on their registration form except her] What a trip! Here we are doing a paper. We could've stayed in school!
- [as she knits a wallet in front of a crafts tent with the other girls] If you want a wallet, why can't you just go to the store and buy one? [Her piece of thread breaks; screams]
- Schroeder: Musicians don't dance.
- Peppermint Patty: [about his registration form] Hey Chuck. Give us a hint. What did you write?
- Charlie Brown: Well, I'm not quite sure. It's kind of personal, you know.
- Peppermint Patty: Oh, come on, Chuck. We're close friends, you know.
- Charlie Brown: Well, okay. [Reads from his paper] I decided to come to camp, because I've never been much of a person. I thought maybe coming to camp would help me grow up, and maybe make me into a leader. I could use leadership qualities.
- Peppermint Patty: You could say that again, Chuck. You couldn't lead a dog on a leash.
- Franklin: I've never made a bed in my life. Do I have directions? By the way, it's a little chilly in here. Where's the thermostat?
- Charlie Brown: Hey! We're supposed to be roughing it. There's no thermostat in a tent!
- Linus: Are we dead?
- Lucy: Thanks to old Charlie Brown.
- Sally: I'm not dead.
- Peppermint Patty: Of course you're not dead!
- Lucy: No thanks to old Charlie Brown!
- Charlie Brown: All right, all right, let's go to the river!
- [The kids take a wrong turn to a channel and see a sign: "Danger, Blasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays"]
- Charlie Brown: That's funny. Did you see that sign?
- Peppermint Patty: Hey, Chuck, did you see that sign? What day is this?
- Charlie Brown: That's right! Today is Tuesday!
- [the kids pass by a group of bulldozers and tractors and see another sign: "Danger, Blasting Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 am]
- Peppermint Patty: Chuck, did you see that sign? What time is it, Chuck?
- Charlie Brown: [checks his watch] It's almost...
- [a huge explosion occurs and a bunch of rocks fall on the screaming kids]
- Charlie Brown: ...10 AM!
- [the rocks stop falling and the channel goes calm]
- Peppermint Patty: Okay, Chuck! Another fine mess you've gotten us into! Look at that! The channel is all blocked!
- Lucy: Yeah, just like his head!
- Peppermint Patty: Okay gang, I suggest we run this tent in a democratic fashion. The first thing we'll do is elect a tent leader. We'll have to prepare some ballots, and we'll do this democratically. We'll vote to see who's leader - one gal, one vote. However, we can't pass the ballots until we voted to see who's gonna pass the ballots. This will be done very democratically. Let's see... I vote that Lucy prepares the ballots.
- Lucy: Wait a minute! You can't vote unless we have ballots!
- Marcie: If we can't vote to see who will pass the ballots, how can we have ballots to vote?
- Sally: Yeah, who cares?
- Peppermint Patty: All in favor say "aye". Aye!
- Marcie: Aye!
- Lucy: No!
- Sally: No!
- Peppermint Patty: It's settled, Lucy will pass the ballots. Okay Lucy, pass the ballots. Everybody mark their choice, either vote for me or against me. That'll be fair.
- Lucy: Wait one darned second! How about if we nominate somebody first?
- Peppermint Patty: Good idea! I nominate me! Any further nominations? If not, the nominations are declared closed. Okay gals let's vote.
- [the girls vote]
- Peppermint Patty: Marcie, pick up the votes and tally 'em.
- Marcie: Alright, here's the way it went: one vote for Lucy, one vote for Peppermint Patty, one vote for Sally, and one vote for Marcie.
- Peppermint Patty: Huh, a tie vote. I guess I'll have to decide the casting vote.
- Lucy: Huh?
- Peppermint Patty: The deciding vote is for Peppermint Patty! Peppermint Patty is the leader! I am the leader! It was fair and square!
- Lucy: Boy, some vote!
- Duncan Watson - Charlie Brown
- Bill Meléndez - Snoopy, Woodstock
- Gail M. Davis - Sally Brown
- Melanie Kohn - Lucy van Pelt
- Liam Martin - Linus van Pelt
- Stuart Brotman - Peppermint Patty
- Jimmy Ahrens - Marcie
- Greg Felton - Schroeder
- Tom Muller - Bully, Franklin
- Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown quotes at the Internet Movie Database