American actor, writer
Raúl Castillo Jr. (born August 30, 1977) is an American actor and playwright.
- To see brown bodies in this environment was exciting to me…Rural upstate New York could be anywhere in middle America…The parents being from Brooklyn, and Pop having Puerto Rican heritage, and the mom being white, makes it a quintessential American story.
- On his role in the film We the Animals in “After ‘Looking’ and ‘We the Animals,’ Raul Castillo Is Ready to Be a Movie Star” in IndieWire (2019 Jan 2)
- Television is art by committee…I’m lucky to have worked on some really interesting shows, but in film, you’re there to fulfill the director’s vision. If you get to work with great directors, you become a vehicle for that work.
- On television versus film work in “After ‘Looking’ and ‘We the Animals,’ Raul Castillo Is Ready to Be a Movie Star” in IndieWire (2019 Jan 2)
- Richie, when all is said and done, is a romantic lead. There’s not a lot of romantic leads out there for Latino actors, and it allowed the industry to sort of see me as an everyman…
- On his character Richie in the show Looking in “Interview: Raúl Castillo on We the Animals, Latino Roles, & More” in Slant Magazine (2018 Aug 13)
- I never saw [Paps] as a bad guy, that’s the kind of work that I’m drawn to, stuff that’s not black or white but sits in a grey zone, where you’re not sure how to feel about things. I think that’s life.
- On his role as Paps in the film We the Animals in “RAÚL CASTILLO TALKS 'LOOKING' AND HIS NEW ROLE IN GAY COMING-OF-AGE DRAMA 'WE THE ANIMALS'” in Attitude Magazine (2019 May 28)