An interpreted, high-level, general-purpose programming language. Created by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991, Python's design philosophy emphasizes code readability with its notable use of significant whitespace.
- And what defines a 'python activist' anyway? Blowing up Perl installations worldwide?
- Ivan Van Laningham, June 2005, on comp. lang. python
- As it seems to me, in Perl you have to be an expert to correctly make a nested data structure like, say, a list of hashes of instances. In Python, you have to be an idiot not to be able to do it, because you just write it down.
- Python is more concerned with making it easy to write good programs than difficult to write bad ones.
- Steve Holden, June 2005, on comp.lang.python