Popeye is the lead character from the Thimble Theatre comic strip. Since 1933, he has been adapted into several other media, including theatrical animated shorts, animated television series, radio programs, feature films, and more.
- (Castor Oyl: You there, are you a sailor?) "Ja' think I'm a cowboy?" - Popeye's first line in the comic strip, therefore his first line in any medium. Quoted in Popeye: An Illustrated Cultural History by Fred Grandinetti, McFarland, 2004 (p. 3).
- I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
- Well blow me down! -- Popeye
- "That's all I can stands, cuz I can't stands n'more!" - Popeye
- I'm strong to the finach, 'cause I eats me Spinach, I'm Popeye the sailor man! (toot, toot) - Popeye (from theme song)
- Olive Oyl says that she don't want to be with no unedumacated ignoramousk. So I'll be an EDUMACATED ignoramousk! (and he enrolls) - Popeye
- I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. - J. Wellington Wimpy
- Let's you and him fight. - J. Wellington Wimpy
- Help, Popeye! Save me! (among other variations) --Olive Oyl
- You keep your hands to you, that's what you are! --Olive Oyl
- Don't you DARE 'reproach' me! --Olive Oyl (she means to say "approach")
- Oh, Popeye! --Olive Oyl
- I'll take you all on one at a time!
- Where's the entrance to the exit?
- Oh yeah? WHAM! (from the earlier cartoons)
- A-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah! (Popeye's laugh)
"I mean what I say and I say what I mean".