Poland, officially the Republic of Poland (Polish: Rzeczpospolita Polska), is a country in the eastern European Union. It is bordered by Lithuania to the northeast, Belarus and Ukraine to the east, Slovakia and the Czech Republic to the south, Germany to the west, and the Baltic Sea and Kaliningrad Oblast (a Russian exclave) to the north. Its capital and largest city is Warsaw.
- After two years of traveling almost exclusively to Western Europe and the Middle East, Poland feels like a geopolitical spa. I visited here for just three days and got two years of anti-American bruises massaged out of me. Get this: people here actually tell you they like America -- without whispering. What has gotten into these people? Have all their subscriptions to Le Monde Diplomatique expired? Haven't they gotten the word from Berlin and Paris? No, they haven't. In fact, Poland is the antidote to European anti-Americanism. Poland is to France what Advil is to a pain in the neck. Or as Michael Mandelbaum, the Johns Hopkins foreign affairs specialist, remarked after visiting Poland: "Poland is the most pro-American country in the world -- including the United States."
- And said Poland: "Whoever comes to me, will be free and equal, because I am freedom."
- Adam Mickiewicz, The Books of the Polish Nation
- But we cannot be blamed for not taking seriously people who, unable though they are to remember correctly any single fact from our history or to say which barbaric dialect we speak, are perfectly able instead to teach us how liberated we are in the East.
- Cultivation, old civilization, beauty, history! Surprising turnings of streets, shapes of venerable cottages, lovely aged eaves, unexpected and gossamer turrets, steeples, the gloss, the antiquity! Gardens. Whoever speaks of Paris has never seen Warsaw. [...] Whoever yearns for an aristocratic sensibility, let him switch on the great light of Warsaw.
- Cynthia Ozick, Jewish novelist and short story writer. Her character, Rosa Lublin, from Rosa (p. 21), Ozick, Cynthia (1989). The Shawl (A Novel and Novella). Alfred A. Knopf.
- Forbid it, England—by thine own great self,
By thine own yet unviolated hearths,
. . . .
Let not thy minister go forth in vain :
The fate of Poland now is at thy will;
The Autocrat will hear and heed thy voice ;
England, my glorious country, speak, and save!
- Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Fisher's Drawing Room Scrap Book, 1833 (1832) 'The Right Honourable Lord Durham - Now on an Embassy at the Court of Russia'
- The European Union and many of its countries, which used to take initiatives in the United Nations for peaceful settlements of conflict, are now one of the most important war assets of the U.S./NATO front. Many countries have also been drawn into complicity in breaking international law through U.S./U.K./NATO wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and so on. It is for this reason that I believe NATO should be abolished and that steps be taken towards disarmament through non-violent action and civil resistance. The means of resistance are very important. Our message that armed groups, militarism and war do not solve our problems but aggravate them challenges us to use new ways and that is why we need to teach the science of peace at every level of society.
- I am thankful to heavens that in all my instincts I stood Polish.
- Friderick Nietzsche, http://pasochicago.org/indexBanasik.html
- I am Polish enough to sacrifice all music of the world for Chopin.
- Friderick Nietzsche, 29th December 1888 r., a letter to Meta von Salis, http://www.kurtiak-ley.pl/nietzche-dziela/
- I have placed my death's-head formation in readiness, for the present only in the East, with orders to them to send to death mercilessly and without compassion, men, women, and children of Polish derivation and language.
- There are few virtues which the Poles do not possess and there are few errors they have ever avoided.
- I would like those Poles to come back. I would welcome all Polish people who went abroad. If only they could come back, it would be a great day for Poland.
- The deputy Polish prime minister, Mateusz Morawiecki, says he would like to see Poles in the UK go back to Poland, quoted on BBC News, 'Come back to Poland' says deputy prime minister, March 17, 2016.
- [About Poland] A great nation, only the people are cunts.
- Józef Piłsudski, as quoted in Myśli i wypsknięcia, Warszawa 2010, p. 41
- Poland has been lobbying hard for a greater US military presence in the country ... as part of NATO operations, with the suggestion that a permanent base be created – for which Poland has offered to pay – dubbed "Fort Trump”, doubtless as a way of appealing to the current US president’s ego.
- NATO has confirmed that it plans to establish a storage facility in Poland for U.S. military equipment, including armored vehicles, ammunition, and weapons to arm a full brigade. A NATO official on March 23 told AFP that a report earlier by The Wall Street Journal that said the $260 million facility would be located in Powidz, some 200 kilometers west of Warsaw, was accurate. The WSJ quoted NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg as saying work on the site will begin this summer and take two years to complete. Since Russia’s annexation of Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula in 2014, Poland, the Baltic states of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia as well as other Eastern European states have expressed concerns about their security. The United States has deployed and rotated troops in the region since the Ukraine crisis began in an effort to deter Russia. NATO has also increased its presence near Russia’s borders. Stoltenberg told the WSJ that the storage facility would help "underpin the increased U.S. presence in Poland."
- It has been said that Poland is dead, exhausted, enslaved, but here is the proof of her life and triumph
- This homage has been rendered not to me - for the Polish soil is fertile and does not lack better writers than me - but to the Polish achievement, the Polish genius.
- Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła...
- Poland is not yet lost...
- Incipit of the national anthem of Poland, written by Józef Wybicki in 1797
- Ustawa z dnia 31 stycznia 1980 r. o godle, barwach i hymnie Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej oraz o pieczęciach państwowych – Dziennik Ustaw z 2005 r. Nr 235, poz. 2000
- Nobody who comes to Poland will be in any danger because of his race. This is not our custom, as is not pointing out similar incidents in other countries, although we know they take place. In Poland, they're a rarity.
- Donald Tusk, as quoted in "Euro 2012: Poland and Ukraine hit back at racism accusations" (29 May 2012), The Guardian.
- Poland has been a source of trouble for over five hundred years.
- Poland is like an island on the north European plain. At times the island has been swamped by a tide of iron or steel helmets converging from Germany and Russia. At times it has drifted suddenly with the current; if the continent of Africa had drifted relatively as much as the boundaries of Poland have drifted in the last two hundred years, then Africa would at one time have touched the north pole and at another the south pole.
- Geoffrey Blainey, Across a Red World (1968)
- The Polish soldier is a marcher of extraordinary endurance.
- Charles de Gaulle, as quoted in Warsaw 1920: Lenin's Failed Conquest of Europe (2008), William Collins, p. 105.
- Quant à l'action qui va commencer, elle se passe en Pologne, c’est-à-dire nulle part.
- The soul of Poland is indestructible... she will rise again as a rock, which may for a spell be submerged by a tidal wave, but which remains a rock.
- Un polonais – c'est un charmeur; deux polonais – une bagarre; trois polonais, eh bien, c'est la question polonaise.
- One Pole is a charmer; two Poles – a brawl; three Poles – well, this is the Polish Question.
- Voltaire, quoted in Davies, Norman (1996). Europe: A History. Oxford University Press.
- We shall soon have the scenes of the Polish Diets and elections re-acted here, and in not many years the fate of Poland may be that of United America.
- Charles Pinckney, speech to the U.S. Congress in 1800 about presidential elections. Quoted in Vile, John R. (2005). The Constitutional Convention of 1787: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of America's Founding. ABC-CLIO.
- Who only knows Latin can go across the whole Poland from one side to the other one just like he was at his own home, just like he was born there. So great happiness! I wish a traveler in England could travel without knowing any other language than Latin!
- Daniel Defoe, 1728
- Norman Davies, 'God's Playground', 2000.
- Wielka mnogość religii, które się w nich roją, zwłaszcza w Polsce, o której mówią przysłowiowo, że jeżeli ktoś utracił swoją religię, to niechaj jej poszukuje w Polsce, a znajdzie ją z pewnością. Jeśli nie, to będzie mógł uznać, że zniknęła ze świata.
- Great wealth of religions existing, especially in Poland, about which they say that if someone has lost religion, let them search it in Poland and they will find it there, surely. If not, they are to think that the religion disappeared from the face of the Earth.
- Sir Edward Sandys
- With respect to us, Poland might be, in fact, considered as a country in the moon.
- You can conquer the Poles not by a threat but by heart
- Stefan Wyszyński, 26 September 1982, http://www.dobre-nowiny.pl/4122.html
- Żeby Polska była Polską.
- Let Poland be Poland.
- Jan Pietrzak, Polish comedian. Title of a patriotic song written in 1976 which became an informal anthem of the Solidarity movement in the 1980s.
- Polish National Hymns, Anthems, and Patriotic Songs. The Polish Academic Information Center. Retrieved on 2009-09-05.
- Через труп белой Польши лежит путь к мировому пожару.
- (Cherez trup beloy Pol'shi lezhit put' k mirovomu pozharu.)
- Over the corpse of White Poland lies the road to world-wide conflagration.
- Mikhail Tukhachevsky, order of Russian invasion of Poland in 1920. Quoted in Davies, Norman (1996). Europe: A History. Oxford University Press.