Peter Mere Latham
English physician and educator (1789-1875)
Peter Mere Latham (July 1, 1789 – July 20, 1875) was an English physician and educator.
- The practice of physic is jostled by quacks on the one side, and by science on the other.
- Book I, p. xxv
- There is nothing so captivating as new knowledge.
- Book I, p. 51.
- Truth in all its kinds is most difficult to win; and truth in medicine is the most difficult of all.
- Book I, p. 60.
- Beware of language, for it is often a great cheat.
- Book I, p. 138.
- The diagnosis of disease is often easy, often difficult, and often impossible.
- Book I, p. 173.
- We should always presume the disease to be curable, until its own nature prove it otherwise.
- Book I, p. 174.
- Fortunate, indeed, is the man who takes exactly the right measure of himself, and holds a just balance between what he can acquire and what he can use, be it great or be it small!
- Book II, p. 11.
- Common sense is in medicine the master workman.
- Book II, p. 389.
- It takes as much time and trouble to pull down a falsehood as to build up a truth.
- Book II, p. 398.
- Faith and knowledge lean largely upon each other in the practice of medicine.
- Book II, p. 408.
- It is no easy task to pick one's way from truth to truth through besetting errors.
- Book II, p. 415.
- It would be a great thing to understand pain in all its meanings.
- Book II, p. 474.
- It is the great mystery of life itself which is at the bottom of all the mysterious language we are obliged to employ concerning it.
- Book II, p. 494.
- People in general have no notion of the sort and amount of evidence often needed to prove the simplest matter of fact.
- Book II, p. 525.
- Poisons and medicine are oftentimes the same substance given with different intents.
- Desk Reference of Clinical Pharmacology - Page 1 by Manuchair S. Ebadi - Medical - 2008.
- Perfect health, like perfect beauty, is a rare thing; and so, it seems, is perfect disease.
- Infertility Counseling: A Comprehensive Handbook for Clinicians - Page 179 by Linda Hammer Burns, Sharon N. Covington - Medical - 2000.