Pet Shop Boys
English synthpop duo
- There where the air is free
we'll be what we want to be
Now if we make a stand
we'll find our promised land
- Push me in a corner and I'll scream.
- We never ever argue, we never calculate
The currency we've spent
(Ooooh) I love you, oh, you pay my rent
- All the people I was kissing,
Some are here and some are missing,
In the nineteen-nineties....
But I thought in spite of dreams
You'd be sitting somewhere here with me.
- I dreamt I was back in uniform
And a candidate for examination
History - someone had blunder'd -
And a voice rapped, 'Knuckle under'
Living on the law just short of delusion
When we fall in love, there's confusion
This must be the place I waited years to leave
- This must be the place I waited years to leave
- I've got the brains, you've got the looks
Let's make lots of money
- Break a window by the town hall, listen, the siren screams
There in the distance like a roll-call of all the suburban dreams...
I only wanted something else to do but hang around...
- That Zazou, he don't care
Dark glasses, long hair...
Sips his drinks, orders more,
Says what he thinks, and it's a crazy war.
- In the night
- When I look back upon my life
It's always with a sense of shame
I've always been the one to blame
For everything I long to do
No matter where or when or who
Has one thing in common too;
It's a - it's a- it's a - it's a sin!
- In the back of my head <br<I heard distant feet;
Che Guevara and Debussy
To a disco beat.
- I reserve the right to live
My life this way, and I don't give
A damn when other people say
I'll pay the price that others pay
- She's made you some kind of laughing stock
Because you dance to disco and you don't like rock
She made fun of you and even in bed
Said she was going to go and get herself a real man instead
- To free in me the trust I never dared
I always thought the risk too great
But suddenly, I don't hesitate
So take my hand, don't think of complications
Now, right now, your love is liberation
- I feel like taking all my clothes off and dancing to The Rite of Spring.
- I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing
- Don't call me pathetic;
I'm higher than you'll ever guess
And relentlessly tough, 'cause when the going gets rough
The tough get their pictures in the press
- What I wanted to be was a family man,
But Nature had some alternative plans.
- ...but here am I;
Once a caterpillar, now a butterfly.
- The more that you hate, the more that it grates.
- Up Against It
- I look from my window down to the square
At workers still queueing patiently there
For market forces to provide
What history so far has denied
For a different kind of fate <br?Than to labour long and always wait...
- To Step Aside
Closer to Heaven (2001)Edit
- Give me hope, give me all your love
Tell me now you're coming home tonight
Have some faith in the love we share
Is it fate? Does darkness end in light?
Never been closer to heaven – never been further away...
- Closer to heaven
- My father fought in Afghanistan
His widows pension aint worth a damn
My mother works and goes home to cry
I want to live before I die
- So my baby's on the road, doing business, selling loads,
Charming everyone there with the sweetest smile...
Oh tonight I miss you, oh tonight I wish you
Would be here with me, but I won't see you
Till you've made it back again home and dry...
- You've got a home here
Call it what you want
You've got a home here
You're gonna want it when you can't
face the world and you need
some support to succeed
You've got a home
- The sunset is deeper and longer
The scent of the jasmine is stronger
Stray dogs don't bite, birds start to sing
Lightning daren't strike, you suddenly bring
- Dreaming of the Queen
Visiting for tea
You and her and I
and Lady Di
The Queen said, I'm aghast
Love never seems to last
However hard you try
And Di replied
That there are no more lovers left alive...
- Dreaming of the Queen
- Remember when you were more easily led
Behind the cricket pavillion and the bicycle shed
Trembling as your dreams came true
You looked up into those blue eyes and knew
It was love, and now you can't pretend
You've forgotten all the promises of that first friend...
"Can you forgive her?"
Consider for a minute who you are
What you'd like to change, never mind the scars
Bury the past, empty the shelf
Decide it's time to reinvent yourself
- Before we ever met I thought like everybody did
You were just a moron, a billion-dollar kid
You flew up all the way like a hawk chasing a dove
I never thought that I would be a sacrifice in love
- But for all of those who don't fit in,
Who follow their instincts and are told they sin,
This is a prayer for a different way.
- [[w:A Red Letter Day|A Red Letter Day]
- Will I get in your way or open your eyes?
Who will give whom the bigger surprise?
Young offender, how you resent
The lovers you need; it hurts when they bleed...
- Young offender