Brazilian association football player
|This article about a sports figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I was born for soccer, just as Beethoven was born for music.
- Quoted in Parton Keese, The measure of greatness (1980)
- Every kid around the world who plays soccer wants to be Pelé. I have a great responsibility to show them not just how to be like a soccer player, but how to be like a man.
- Quoted in "SI Flashback: Soccer's greatest genius" Sports Illustrated, (1 June 1999)
- Bobby Moore — he defended like a lord. Let me tell you about this man. When I played, I would face up to a defender, I would beat him with my eyes, send him the wrong way; I would look one way and then go the other. Defenders would just kick me in frustration. They would foul me because they couldn't stop me, or because I would confuse them with my movement. I would move my eyes, my legs or my body, but not always the ball. They would follow my move, but not Bobby, not ever. He would watch the ball, he would ignore my eyes and my movement and then, when he was ready and his balance was right, he would take the ball, always hard, always fair.He was a gentleman and an incredible footballer.
- Interviewedby Lee Clayton, "Welcome into Pelé's World" in Daily Mail [England] (27 May 2006)