Pegasus Project revelations in India
In India, the Pegasus Project investigations alleged that the Pegasus spyware was used on opposition leaders, political strategist and tacticians, journalists, activists, minority leaders, supreme court judges, religious leaders, union ministers, administrators like Election Commissioners and heads of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Some of these phones were later analysed and were confirmed to have been targeted by the Pegasus spyware.
- If more than 45 nations are using Pegasus, like NSO has said, why is only India being targeted? The NSO, which is the manufacturer of Pegasus, has clearly said that its clients are mostly Western nations. So why is India being targetted in this matter? What is the story behind this? What is the twist in the tale?
- Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP), as quoted in "If Over 45 Countries Use Pegasus, Why Target Just India?" Says BJP", NDTV (19 July 2021)
- In what seemed like perfect cue, late last evening we saw a report which has been amplified by a few sections with only one aim — to do whatever is possible and humiliate India at the world stage, peddle the same old narratives about our nation and derail India’s development trajectory.
- Amit Shah (BJP), "Project Pegasus: Bid to malign India, aap chronology samajhiye, says Amit Shah", The Indian Express (20 July 2021)
- Mr Modi, don't mind. I am not attacking you personally. But you and may be the Home Minister -- you are deploying agencies against opposition leaders. You are misusing the agencies.
- Mamata Banerjee (TMC), as quoted in "Modi Ji, This Isn't Personal": Mamata Banerjee's Attack On Pegasus Row" NDTV (21 July 2021)
- Pegasus is a non issue. The common man does not even know what it is. The Opposition has not allowed Parliament to run last week and we hope, they understand now.
- Dilip Ghosh (BJP), as quoted in "Pegasus a Non-Issue for Common Man, Says BJP's Dilip Ghosh, Mocks Mamata's Plan to Unite Oppn", News18 (26 July 2021)
- The PM has assaulted democratic institutions by using the weapons grade spyware against them. For me, this is not a matter of privacy, it is an anti-national act, treason. The weapon was used against me, SC, other leaders, journalists, activists. Then why should we not debate the issue in Parliament? What is the reason the discussion is not happening. This is the question.
- Rahul Gandhi (INC), as quoted in "Pegasus snooping is treason; not going anywhere till it’s discussed: Rahul Gandhi", Tribune India (28 July 2021)