Paper Moon (film)
1973 film by Peter Bogdanovich
Paper Moon is a 1973 film, set during the Great Depression, in which a con man finds himself saddled with a young girl who may or may not be his daughter, and the two forge an unlikely partnership.
- Directed by Peter Bogdnaovich. Written by Alvin Sargent, based on Joe David Brown's novel Addie Pray.
As P. T. Barnum put it, "There's a sucker born every minute."
- [to Addie Loggins] Look, I don't want to wipe you out, and I don't want you wiping me out, you know? So I'm going to level with you, okay? Now, you see, with me, it's just a matter of time. I don't know why, but somehow I just don't manage to hold on real long. So, if you wait it out a little, it'll be over, you know? I mean, even if I want a fella, somehow or other I manage to get it screwed up. Maybe I'll get a new pair of shoes, nice dress, a few laughs. Times are hard. Now, if you fool around on the hill up here, then you don't get nothing. I don't get nothing, he don't get nothing. So how 'bout it, honey? Just for a little while, let old Trixie sit up front with her big tits.
- Moze: Come on, we're ready. Come on, now.
- Addie: I ain't ready.
- Moze: Well, you don't look real busy with nothing, so you just come on down.
- Addie: I ain't coming.
- Moze: Now you listen here, child.
- Addie: No, I won't listen here.
- Moze: What the heck's up with you, then?
- Addie: I wanna sit in front. And how come we ain't working no more?
- Moze: 'Cause we're on vacation, that's why. And Miss Delight and me are sitting in front because we are two grown-ups, and that's where grown-ups do the sitting. And little children do not tell grown-ups what to do with their lives, you understand that?
- Addie: Well, she ain't my grown-up, and I ain't planning no more to sit in the back. Not for no cow.
- Moze: Will you keep your voice down. And Miss Delight ain't no cow. She's a proper woman. She has a high school diploma, and right now she's got to go to the bathroom, so you just get on down to the car.
- Addie: She always has to go to the bathroom. She must have a bladder the size of a peanut. Well I ain't getting back in the car. Not 'til she gets out of it.
- As P. T. Barnum put it, "There's a sucker born every minute."
- "There's a sucker born every minute."
- Ryan O'Neal - Moses "Moze" Pray
- Tatum O'Neal - Addie Loggins
- Madeline Kahn - Trixie Delight
- John Hillerman - Deputy Hardin/Jess Hardin
- P. J. Johnson - Imogene
- Burton Gilliam - Floyd
- Jim Harrell - Minister
- Noble Willingham - Mr. Robertson
- Yvonne Harrison - The Widow Bates (Marie)
- Randy Quaid - Leroy
- Hugh Gilin - 2nd deputy
- Paper Moon quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Paper Moon at Rotten Tomatoes
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|