Pacific Rim (film)
2013 American science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro
As a war between humankind and monstrous sea creatures wages on, a former pilot and a trainee are paired up to drive a seemingly obsolete special weapon in a desperate effort to save the world from the apocalypse.
- [narrating] When I was a kid, whenever I'd feel small or lonely, I'd look up at the stars. Wondered if there was life up there. Turns out I was looking in the wrong direction. When alien life entered our world, it was from deep beneath the Pacific Ocean. A fissure between two tectonic plates. A portal between dimensions. The Breach. I was fifteen when the first Kaiju made land in San Francisco. By the time tanks, jets and missiles took it down, six days and 35 miles later, three cities were destroyed. Tens of thousands of lives were lost. We mourned our dead, memorialized the event, and moved on. And then, only six months later, the second attack hit Manila. Then the third one hit Cabo. And then the fourth. And then we learned, that this was not gonna stop. This was just the beginning. We needed a new weapon. The world came together, pooling its resources and throwing aside old rivalries for the sake of the greater good. To fight monsters, we created monsters of our own. The Jaeger program was born. There were setbacks at first - the neural load to interface with the Jaeger proved too much for a single pilot. A two pilot system was implemented, left hemisphere, right hemisphere, pilot-controlled. We started winning, Jaegers stopping Kaijus everywhere. But the Jaegers were only as good as their pilots. So Jaeger pilots turned into rock stars, danger turned into propaganda, Kaijus into toys. We got really good at it... winning. Then... then it all changed.
- Years before, you wouldn't have picked my brother Yancy and I for heroes. No chance. We were never star athletes, never at the head of the class. But we could hold our own in a fight. And it turned out we had a unique skill - we were drift compatible. [we see the two brothers being suited up and then boarding onto their Jaeger]
- There are things you can't fight - acts of God. You see a hurricane coming, you get out of the way. But when you're in a Jaeger, suddenly you can fight the hurricane. You can win.
- [To Chuck] Apologize to her. I said Apologize to her.
- Empty the clip, EMPTY THE CLIP!!
- Haven't you heard, Mr. Beckett? The world is coming to an end. Where would you rather die? Here, or in a Jaeger?
- [To Hermann Gottlieb] YOU! SHUT UP! [To Newton Geiszler] You. Keep talking.
- That Kajiu is still alive!
- Do not let my calm demeanor fool you, RANGER! Now is not a good moment for your insubordination! Mako is too inexperienced to reign in her memories during combat.
- This conversation is over.
- One: don't you ever touch me again. Two: don't you ever touch me again.
- Now, you have no idea who the hell I am or where I've come from, and I'm not about to tell you my whole life story. All I need to be to you and everybody on this dome is a fixed point. The last man standing. I do not need your sympathy or your admiration; all I need is your compliance and your fighting skills. And if I can't get that, then you can go back to the wall that I found you crawling on.
- Today. Today... at the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen not only to believe in ourselves, but in each other. Today there is not a man nor woman in here that shall stand alone. Not today. Today we face the monsters that are at our door, and bring the fight to them. Today, we are canceling the apocalypse!
- Mako! You can finish this! I'll always be there for you! You can always find me in the drift!
- (At Hong Kong Shatterdome) Things have changed. We're not an army anymore, Mr. Becket. We're the resistance. Welcome to the Shatterdome.
- War clock. We reset it after every Kaiju attack. Keeps everyone focused. The frequency of attacks is accelerating.
- A week, if we're lucky. My experts believe there'll be a Kaiju attack... ...even before that. This complex used to lodge... ...30 Jaegers in five bays just like this one. Now we only have four Jaegers left.
- Crimson Typhoon, China. One of the greatest. Assembled in Changzhou. Full titanium core, no alloys. Fifty diesel engines per muscle strand. Deadly, precise fighter. She's piloted by the Wei Tang brothers. Triplets. Local lads. They've successfully defended Hong Kong port seven times. They use the Thundercloud formation.
- Very effective. That tank, last of the T-90s. Chemo Alpha. First generation Mark 1. The heaviest and oldest Jaeger in the service. But make no mistake, Mr. Becket, it's a brutal war machine. And those two: Sasha and Aleksis Kaidanovsky.
- On their watch it stayed unbreached for six years. Six years.
- [in Japanese] I imagined him differently.
- It's not obedience, Mr. Becket. It's respect.
- [in Japanese] For the sake of my family!
- [in Japanese] I apologize Mr. Becket, I've heard a lot about you.
- Come on, Gipsy! Kick his ass!
- Well, my father always said, if you have a shot, you take it. So let’s do this.
- Suits and ties and flashing smiles. That's all they are, Stacker.
- We can either sit here and wait, or take these flare guns and do something really stupid!
- Oi, show some respect. When his brother died he took the Jaeger back to shore on his own. I've known only one other pilot that's been able to do that.
Dr. Newton GeiszlerEdit
- Fortune favours the brave, dude.
- 2,500 tons of awesome... Or awful. You know, whatever you wanna call it.
- See, the first wave, that was just the hounds! Categories 1 to 4, it was nothing! Their sole purpose was to aim for the populated areas and take out the vermin: us! The second wave, that is the exterminators, and they will finish the job! And then, the new tenants will take possession!
Dr. Hermann GottliebEdit
- Please excuse him. He's a Kaiju groupie, he loves them.
- No Kaiju entrails over my side of the room, you know the rules! Every bloody day! It's incessant!
- Numbers do not lie. Politics and poetry, promises - these are lies! Numbers are as close as we get to the handwriting of God.
- I have asked you not to refer to me by my first name in front of others. I have more than 10 years...
- (to Raleigh) Hey kid, Don't get cocky .
- Now tell me what you want - before I gut you like a pig and feed you to the skin louse.
- Look at them. They believe the Kaiju were sent from heaven. That the gods are expressing their displeasure with our behavior. The silly bastards.
- Where is my GODDAMN shoe?
- Tendo Choi: Good morning, Becket boys!
- Raleigh Becket: Tendo, what's happenin', my man?
- Yancy Becket: How did that date with Alison go last night, Mr. Choi?
- Tendo Choi:[we see Tendo in the control room as he talks to the brothers] Oh, she loved me. Her boyfriend, not so much.
- Raleigh Becket: You're gonna get your ass kicked.
- Tendo Choi: [Tendo chuckles] A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, brother.
- [at that moment, their commanding officer, Pentecost comes up behind Tendo]
- Stacker Pentecost: Ready to drop, Mr. Choi?
- Tendo Choi: Ready to drop, sir. Marshall Pentecost on deck. Securing Conn Pod getting ready to drop.
- [the Jaeger pod is placed in position ready for the drop]
- Yancy Becket: Ready for the big drop.
- Raleigh Becket: Ready to go.
- American UN Representative: The Kaiju are learning our defenses. They're adapting, evolving. We're losing Jaeger's faster than we can build them. Lima. Seattle. Vladivostok. Category 4 Kaiju's are now coming through the breach. I think that you can see, Marshall, this is no longer a sound strategy. The frequency of the attacks has increased. The Jaeger's are not the most viable line of defense anymore.
- Stacker Pentecost: I am aware. Those are my ranger that die every time a Jaeger falls, which is why I'm asking you for one last chance...
- British UN Representative: Excuse me, Marshall. Excuse me!
- Stacker Pentecost: One final score with everything that we've got.
- British UN Representative: Excuse me! The Jaeger program is dead, Marshall. On the other hand, the coastal wall program is a promising option.
- American UN Representative: The world appreciates all that you and your men have done, but it's over. We will authorize you to take all remaining Jaegers to the last battle station in Hong Kong. We're prepared to fund you for the next eight months while the coastal wall is completed. After that, you will receive no further support.
- Canadian UN Representative: You have our answer, Marshall.
- [the TV monitors go black as the meeting ends]
- Tendo Choi: So that's it? It's over?
- Herc Hansen: Suits and ties and flashing smiles. That's all they are, Stacker.
- Stacker Pentecost: We don't need them.
- [Raleigh noticing Geiszler's tattoo's on his arms]
- Raleigh Becket: What is that, Yamarashi? [pointing to the tattoo on his arm]
- Dr. Newton Geiszler: This little Kaiju? Yeah, you got a good eye.
- Raleigh Becket: My brother and I took him down in 2017.
- Dr. Newton Geiszler: You know he was one of the biggest Category 3's ever? He was 2,500 tons of awesome. [there's a moment's pause as Raleigh gives him a cold look] Or awful. You know, whatever you wanna call it.
- Dr. Hermann Gottlieb: Please excuse him. He's a Kaiju groupie, he loves them.
- Dr. Newton Geiszler: Shut up, Hermann! I don't love them, okay? I study them. And unlike most people, I wanna see one live and up close one day.
- Raleigh Becket: Trust me, you don't want to.
- [Gottlieb rushes in while the Gipsy Danger is going through its inaugural trial run]
- Dr. Hermann Gottlieb: Marshal! Marshal! I need to talk to you.
- Stacker Pentecost: [dismissively] Not now, Mr. Gottlieb, I'm sure you can appreciate how important this moment is to me--
- Dr. Hermann Gottlieb: Newton created a neural bridge from garbage and drifted with a Kaiju!
- [Newt enters Hannibal Chau's secret lab, where workers are busy dissecting and examining Kaiju body parts. He is astonished by the amount of Kaiju parts in perfect condition]
- Dr. Newton Geiszler: Is that a cuticle? In mint condition?! Is that a Kaiju skin parasite?! I've never seen one alive before, I thought it was impossible to keep them alive!
- Hannibal Chau: You can, if you soak them in ammonia.
- [Newt turns around and sees Hannibal approach him]
- Hannibal Chau: Who sent you here?
- Dr. Newton Geiszler: I'm afraid that's classified.
- Hannibal Chau: [Hannibal pulls his golden balisong and sticks the tip up Newt's right nostril] Now, who sent you here?
- Dr. Newton Geiszler: Okay, okay! Stacker Pentecost sent me here!
- [Hannibal pulls balisong off Newt's nostril]
- Dr. Newton Geiszler: You're Hannibal Chau?
- Hannibal Chau: I got the name from my favorite historical figure and my second-favorite Szechuan restaurant in Brooklyn.
- Raleigh Becket: Wait. I think we took this guy out. But just to be safe, we better check for a pulse.
- [to Mako after shooting the monster several times]
- Raleigh Becket: No pulse.