Optimist International is an international service club organization with almost 3,000 clubs and over 80,000 members in more than 20 countries. Optimist International's motto is "Friend of Youth" and the organization also uses the branding statement "Bringing Out the Best in Youth, in our Communities, and in Ourselves." Optimist International is also the sponsor of Junior Optimist International, designed for elementary school- through high school-aged youth.
By providing hope and positive vision, Optimists bring out the best in youth, our communities, and ourselves.
Optimist International will be recognized worldwide as the premier volunteer organization that values all children and helps them develop to their full potential.
To develop optimism as a philosophy of life utilizing the tenets of the Optimist Creed; to promote an active interest in good government and civic affairs; to inspire respect for the law; to promote patriotism and work for international accord and friendship among all people; to aid and encourage the development of youth, in the belief that the giving of one’s self in service to others will advance the well-being of humankind, community life and the world.
The Optimist CreedEdit
- Promise Yourself
- To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
- To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
- To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
- To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
- To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
- To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
- To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
- To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.
- In a world where we are exposed daily to global problems that need to be solved as well as serious challenges in our own lives and communities, it is easy to get caught-up and feel overwhelmed. However, what if you had a creed that could help you feel grounded and maintain an optimistic approach despite the obstacles life throws at you? This magical creed was created 100 years ago and yet it is still very relevant today. Long before the concept of thriving was brought to the forefront of people’s conversations, the Optimist Creed by Optimist International existed. It has shaped generations of young leaders since 1919 by teaching them to look at optimism as a way of life through action, instead of an abstract idea...
In your life, there will be obstacles along the way. You have a choice to find a lesson and value in every challenge you experience. My wish for you is that the Optimist Creed is a reminder to persevere and maintain a healthy perspective. Find your own creed or adopt this one if it speaks to you, because if we focus on optimism with purpose, the world will be a much better place.
- “Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind." So begins the Optimist Creed of Optimist International that members recite at club meetings worldwide. Begun in 1919, Optimist International celebrates its 100th anniversary during 2019. What a great creed to reflect on in today’s tumultuous world! ...the Optimist Clubs sponsor several recognition events including Youth Appreciation Recognition, Achievement in Education Awards, Respect for Law and Friend of Youth Awards. Optimist Club members volunteer for Salvation Army bell ringing, support a youth golf tournament for area golfers who can advance to district and national tournaments and support programs and events for kids with cancer and their families.