One Thousand and One Nights
collection of Arabic stories and folk tales
|This literature-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Scheherazade … possessed courage, wit, and penetration, infinitely above her sex. She had read much, and had so admirable a memory, that she never forgot any thing she had read. She had successfully applied herself to philosophy, medicine, history, and the liberal arts; and her poetry excelled the compositions of the best writers of her time. Besides this, she was a perfect beauty, and all her accomplishments were crowned by solid virtue.
- "Who will change old lamps for new ones? New lamps for old?"
- "Open Sesame!"
Tale of Zummurud and Ali-SharEdit
- When I was alive
I was dust which was,
But now I am dust in dust
I am dust which never was.
- On the black road of life think not to find
Either a friend or lover to your mind;
If you must love, oh then, love solitude,
For solitude alone is true and kind.
Tale of King Umar al-NumanEdit
- Maslamah ibn Dinar said: "Each pleasure that does not forward the soul to God is not so much as a pleasure as a calamity."
- I hope that Allah will not make me immortal, for death is his greatest gift to any true believer.
- Each man envies, the strong openly, the weak in secret.
Quotes about One Thousand and One NightsEdit
- It is a book so vast that it is not necessary to have read it, for it is a part of our memory.
- Jorge Luis Borges, Seven Nights (1984), p. 57
- I'd like every single Arab to read One Thousand and One Nights. They [would] learn a lot from them, especially [because] these stories were written away from the influence of religion. It's interesting to see how we were open, how we had a dialogue with each other, how we wanted to understand, how we respected each other. There was a great dignity, and I'd like this to be restored again.
- Encyclopedic article on One Thousand and One Nights at Wikipedia
- Works related to One Thousand and One Nights at Wikisource
- One Thousand and One Nights travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Media related to Arabian Nights at Wikimedia Commons