One Night in Miami...
One Night in Miami... is a 2020 film that presents a fictional account of one incredible night where icons Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X, Sam Cooke, and Jim Brown gathered to discuss their roles in the Civil rights movement and cultural upheaval of the 60s.
- Everybody talks about they wantin' a piece of the pie, well I don't. I want the goddamn recipe.
- [On Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind"] I felt I should have written that song.
- The only color they care about in the Cali is the color green.
- This has been one strange fucking night.
- Y'all pulled out the knives. And if I get cut, I'm gonna hurt somebody.
- [Cassius Clay is bouncing on the motel bed] What are you, a giant fucking baby?
- Angelo Dundee: [between rounds in the ring] Finish him off!
- Cassius Clay: I'll finish him off when I'm good and ready. I told you he was ugly, you should see him up close, MAN he's ugly!
- Sam Cooke: It's time to take this party to the Fountainbleu, whoo! [starts singing] Havin' a party...
- Malcolm X: You've obviously forgotten, brother Cassius no longer drinks.
- Sam Cooke: And you obviously haven't smelled his breath in the last hour.
- Jim Brown: Say man, do you have any regrets, you know, hitchin' your cart to the Muslim train?
- Jamaal: Yeah, yes I think you could say I do.
- Jim Brown: Really.
- Jamaal: I regret that I didn't join when I was younger. This kid named Rollis used to chase me on the way home every damned day on the way. That's the reason I stopped goin'. I reckon if I'd've gotten with the bothers sooner, we could have nipped it in the bud and put our foot in Rollin's ass, know what I'm sayin'?
- Jim Brown: Yeah, but you don't need a religion for that. Kid, you could have just joined a gang.
- Jamaal: What's the difference?
- Jim Brown: [regarding the ice cream in the motel room] Well, what flavor is it?
- Malcolm X: Well, we have vanilla, Jimmy... [pulls a second carton out of the freezer] ...and vanilla.
- Jim Brown: Shit.
- Sam Cooke: How's that for irony?
- Malcolm X: Last time I checked, Brother Sam, vanilla was your flavor of choice.
- Malcolm X: What kind of message are you sending, though, by doing one show for white folks and a completely different show for black folks, Sam?
- [Sam laughs]
- Malcolm X: No, listen to me, you're performing in places where the only black people not on stage are the ones serving the food.
- Sam Cooke: Don't you think I know that? I can't tell you how many times I wanted to reach out and punch somebody.
- Malcolm X: Then, then, then, then strike with the weapon that you have, man: your voice! Black people, we, we standing up! We, we speaking out!
- Sam Cooke: Umm hm.
- Malcolm X: Sam, you have possibly one of the most effective, beautiful outlets of us all. You're not using it to help the cause, brother.
- Sam Cooke: The hell I'm not! I got the masters to my songs. I started a label, I'm producing tons of black artists. Don't you think my determining my own creative and business destiny is every bit as inspiring to people as you standing up on a podium trying to piss 'em off?
- Sam Cooke: But you still obey them, so when they tell you to come out here to recruit Cassius to become a member of some...
- Malcolm X: I didn't make Cassius do anything! He came to me for insight, he had questions. His passion for Islam come from a pure...
- Cassius Clay: Passion... is kind of a strong word.
- Kingsley Ben-Adir - Malcolm X
- Eli Goree - Cassius Clay
- Aldis Hodge - Jim Brown
- Leslie Odom Jr. - Sam Cooke
- Lance Reddick - Brother Kareem
- Christian Magby - Jamaal
- Joaquina Kalukango - Betty X
- Nicolette Robinson - Barbara Cooke
- Michael Imperioli - Angelo Dundee
- Lawrence Gilliard Jr. - Drew Bundini Brown
- Beau Bridges - Mr. Carlton
- Emily Bridges - Emily Carlton
- Jeremy Pope - Jackie Wilson
- Christopher Gorham - Johnny Carson
- Jerome A. Wilson - Elijah Muhammad
- Amondre D. Jackson - L.C. Cooke
- Aaron D. Alexander - Sonny Liston
- Randall Newsome - Myron Cohen
- Alan Wells - Ed McMahon
- Sean Monaghan - Henry Cooper