One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (film)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a 1975 film about a petty criminal who's been sentenced to a relatively short prison term but has been transferred to a mental institution. Upon his arrival, he rallies the patients to take on the oppressive head nurse. The film was the first to win all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, Best Screenplay) since 1934, and the last to do it until The Silence of the Lambs.
- Directed by Miloš Forman. Written by Bo Goldman and Lawrence Hauben, adapted from the novel by Ken Kesey.
- But Doc, she was fifteen years old, going on thirty-five, Doc, and, uh, she told me she was eighteen and she was, uh, very willing, you know what I mean...I practically had to take to sewin' my pants shut. But, uh between you and me, uh, she might have been fifteen, but when you get that little red beaver right up there in front of ya, I don't think it's crazy at all now and I don't think you do either...No man alive could resist that, and that's why I got into jail to begin with. And now they're telling me I'm crazy over here because I don't sit there like a goddamn vegetable. Don't make a bit of sense to me. If that's what's bein' crazy is, then I'm senseless, out of it, gone-down-the-road, wacko. But no more, no less, that's it.
- I'm here to cooperate with ya a hundred percent. A hundred percent. I'll be just right down the line with ya, you watch. 'Cause I think we ought to get to the bottom of R. P. McMurphy.
- You wanna bet? One week. I bet in one week, I can put a bug so far up her ass she won't know whether to shit or wind her wristwatch.
- You're just a young kid. What are you doin' here? You oughta be out in a convertible, why – bird-doggin' chicks and bangin' beaver! What are ya doin' here, for Christ's sake? What's funny about that? Jesus, I mean, you guys do nothin' but complain about how you can't stand it in this place here and then you haven't got the guts just to walk out!
- to Billy
- How about it? You creeps, you lunatics, mental defectives. Let's hear it for Bull Goose Randall back in action...You ding-a-lings. The Mental Defective League, in formation.
- They, uh, was givin' me 10,000 watts a day, you know, and I'm hot to trot. The next woman who takes me out is gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay off in silver dollars.
- If Mr. McMurphy doesn't want to take his medication orally, I'm sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way.
- Chief Bromden: Mac, they said you escaped. I knew you wouldn't leave without me. I was waiting for you. Now we can make it, Mac. I feel big as a damn mountain. [sees the lobotomy scars] Oh, no. [suffocating McMurphy] I'm not goin' without you, Mac. I wouldn't leave you this way. You're coming with me. [laying him down] Let's go.
- Dr. Spivey: It said you've been belligerent, talked when unauthorized, been resentful in attitude toward work—in general, that you're lazy.
- McMurphy: Chewing gum in class. Ha-ha.
- Dr. Spivey: Well, the real reason that you've been sent over here is because they wanted you evaluated to determine whether or not you're mentally ill. This is the real reason. Why do you think they might think that?
- McMurphy: Well, as near as I can figure out, it's 'cause I, uh, fight and fuck too much.
- Dr. Spivey: In the penitentiary?
- McMurphy: No, no!
- Dr. Spivey: Well, you've had 5 prior arrests for assault.
- McMurphy: 5 fights, huh? Rocky Marciano's got 40 and he's a millionaire.
- McMurphy: Well, that fuckin' Nurse, man...She, uh, she ain't honest.
- Dr. Spivey: Aw now, look. Miss Ratched's one of the finest nurses we've got in this institution.
- McMurphy: Ha! Well I don't wanna break up the meeting or nothin', but she's somethin' of a cunt, ain't she, Doc?
- Dr. Spivey: How do you mean that?
- McMurphy: She likes a rigged game, you know what I mean?
- Dr. Spivey: The funny thing is that the person that he's the closest to is the one he dislikes the most — that's you, Mildred.
- Nurse Ratched: Well, gentlemen, in my opinion, if we send him back to Pendleton or we send him up to Disturbed, it's just one more way of passing on our problems to somebody else. You know we don't like to do that, so I'd like to keep him on the ward. I think we can help him.
- McMurphy: What do you think you are, for Christ's sake, crazy or something? Well, you're not! You're not! You're no crazier than the average asshole out walking around on the streets and that's it!
- Nurse Ratched: Those are very challenging observations you made, Randle.
- McMurphy: [after realizing Chief Bromden is not mute] You fooled 'em, Chief! You fooled 'em. You fooled 'em all. Goddamn. What are we doin' here Chief? Huh? What's us two guys doin' in this fuckin' place? Let's get out of here. Out!
- Chief Bromden: Canada.
- McMurphy: Canada. I'll be there before these son-of-a-bitches know what hit 'em. Listen to Randall on this one.
- Chief Bromden: My pop was real big. He did like he pleased. That's why everybody worked on him. The last time I seen my father, he was blind in the cedars from drinking. And every time he put the bottle to his mouth, he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs didn't know him.
- McMurphy: Killed him, huh?
- Chief Bromden: I'm not saying they killed him. They just worked on him. The way they're working on you.
- [Billy is discovered in bed with Candy]
- Nurse Ratched: Aren't you ashamed?
- Billy: No, I'm not. [the other patients applaud]
- Nurse Ratched: You know, Billy, what worries me is how your mother's going to take this.
- Billy: [obviously terrified] Um, um, well, y-y-y-you d-d-d-don't have to t-t-t-tell her, Miss Ratched.
- Nurse Ratched: I don't have to tell her? Your mother and I are old friends, you know that.
- Billy: P-p-p-please d-d-don't tell my m-m-m-mother.
- Jack Nicholson—Randle Patrick McMurphy
- Louise Fletcher—Nurse Mildred Ratched
- Will Sampson—Chief Bromden
- Brad Dourif—Billy Bibbit
- William Redfield—Harding
- Michael Berryman—Ellis
- Danny DeVito—Martini
- Christopher Lloyd—Taber
- Peter Brocco—Colonel Matterson
- Dean R. Brooks—Dr. John Spivey
- Alonzo Brown—Miller
- Scatman Crothers—Orderly Turkle
- Sydney Lassick—Charlie Cheswick
- Dwight Marfield—Ellsworth, Dancing Patient
- Philip Roth—Woolsey
- Mimi Sarkisian—Nurse Pilbow
- Mews Small—Candy