American actor and playwright
Nilaja Sun is an actress, playwright, and a teaching artist.
- …My pieces come from people and feelings and life rather than research. During my life, I’m listening and feeling, and I’m also calibrating the emotions in the room and asking people about their lives, and from there I go into creating. I wouldn’t be able to do research and then create a piece. It would be so flat. It would be filled with ideas and not emotion. Mine is more of an emotional based work.
- On her work Pike St. in “An Interview with Nilaja Sun” in The Interval (2015 Dec 1)
- …New York. Invisible New Yorkers. Folks that aren’t talked about in the theatre as much. Love. Instead of love it’s more like service. Service to one another. Death always seems to follow every show I do. It’s really life and death…
- On the recurrent themes in her works in “An Interview with Nilaja Sun” in The Interval (2015 Dec 1)
- As an American, I always want to create work that reminds the world that people of colour have been great contributors to American history, culture, and tradition and that our stories exist and matter.
- On her aim in “Interview with Nilaja Sun” (2017 Aug 6)