N. T. Rama Rao
Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao (May 28, 1923 – January 18, 1996) known by his initials NTR or Anna garu, was an Indian film actor, director, producer, and politician. He acted in over 320 Telugu films and was considered as one of the leading method actors of Indian cinema, He was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1968, recognizing his contribution to Telugu cinema. After his career in films, NTR entered politics. He founded the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in 1982 and served three tumultuous terms as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh between 1983 and 1995. At the national level, he was instrumental in the formation of the National Front, a coalition of non-Congress parties which governed India from 1989 until 1990.
- What is destined to happen will happen. Victory and defeat are like light and darkness.
- His own family toppled him, quoted in "Obituary: N. T. Rama Rao". 19 January 1996. Retrieved on 8 January 2014.
- Nandamuri Taraka. Rama Rao [was] the hero of the masses in his reel life, who later became their hero in real life by unseating the nearly century old and well-entrenched Congress, and forming the first ever non-Congress Government in the State.
- In "N.T. Rama Rao (1923 - 1995): A messiah of the masses". The Hindu. 2 December 2002. Retrieved on 8 January 2014.
- He became one of the cinema-crazed state's best-known idols. Wide-shouldered, flamboyant and with a proud, hawkish face, Rama Rao made as good a villain as he did a hero, but he is best known for his portrayals of the two gods Krishna and Rama.
- In "Obituary: N. T. Rama Rao".
- A man of many parts - a learned and deeply religious person, a very fine and powerful actor who swayed millions of people, a orator and above all, a man of the masses.
- By Narasimha Rao in "Obituary: N. T. Rama Rao".
- NTR and I shared great relationship. We used to exchange ideas and even remade each other's film in our languages. He is a great son of Indian soil.
- By Amitabh Bachhan in NTR is a great son of Indian soil: Amitabh Bachchan. One India Entertainment (12 April 2013). Retrieved on 8 January 2014.
- Cinema unifies us despite caste, creed and race. While watching a movie in a cinema hall, we don't care who is seated next to us. We laugh at the same jokes and cry at the same scenes. We should be proud of Indian cinema for integrating us,"
- By Amitabh Bachhan in "NTR is a great son of Indian soil: Amitabh Bachchan".
- He believed that only strong States could make a strong Centre. He convinced the then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, in this regard which made her change her earlier stance that strong States would mean a weak Centre.
- In "N.T. Rama Rao (1923 - 1995): A messiah of the masses". The Hindu. 9 December 2002. Retrieved on 8 January 2014.
- He introduced educational reforms and laid the foundation for the Telugu Ganga project to provide drinking water to Madras city, apart from irrigating the dry lands of Rayalaseema.
- In “N.T. Rama Rao (1923 - 1995): A messiah of the masses”.