My Favorite Year
1982 American comedy film directed by Richard Benjamin
- Directed by Richard Benjamin. Written by Dennis Palumbo and Norman Steinberg.
- Damn you! I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!
- What's in a name? A rose by any other name would wither and die.
- [Swann downs a drink]
- Benjy: Mr. Swann, I was supposed to watch you, remember?
- Swann: Good. Watch this. [downs another; hands Benjy a glass] Stone, you can watch me or you can join me. One of them is more fun.
- Benjy: I think I'm going to be unwell.
- Swann: Ladies are unwell, Stone. Gentlemen vomit.
- Benjy: Mm-hm.
- Swann: [to his limo driver] Alfredo, you needn't wait. We shan't need the car any more. We're going to throw up in the park and then walk home.
- Stockbroker #1: [peering over the edge of the balcony] I think Alan Swann is beneath us!
- Stockbroker #2: Of course he's beneath us. He's an actor!
- K.C.: Do you think there are funny people and not-funny people?
- Benjy: Yes. Definitely. On the funny side there are the Marx Brothers, except Zeppo; the Ritz Brothers, no exceptions; both Laurel and Hardy; and Woody Woodpecker. On the unfunny side there's anyone who has ever played the accordion professionally.
- Benjy: Bring Allan Swann to Brooklyn?
- Belle: Sure; what are you ashamed of?
- Benjy: Everything!
- Swann: Stone... I'm afraid. I'm afraid. That's why I couldn't get out of the car to see my Tess, my child.
- Benjy: Alan Swann, afraid? The Defender of the Crown? Captain from Tortuga? The Last Knight of the Round Table?
- Swann: Those are movies, damn you! Look at me! I'm flesh and blood, life-size, no larger! I'm not that silly goddamned hero! I never was!
- Benjy: To me you were! Whoever you were in those movies, those silly goddamn heroes meant a lot to me! What does it matter if it was an illusion? It worked! So don't tell me this is you life-size. I can't use you life-size. I need Alan Swanns as big as I can get them! And let me tell you something: you couldn't have convinced me the way you did unless somewhere in you you had that courage! Nobody's that good an actor! You are that silly goddamn hero!