My Bunny Lies over the Sea
My Bunny Lies over the Sea, a Warner Bros. Merrie Melodies cartoon, was released on December 4, 1948. This theatrical cartoon was directed by Chuck Jones and written by Michael Maltese. In the short, Bugs Bunny destroys a Scotsman's bagpipes and ends up challenging him at golf.
- Bugs Bunny: Now, one good turn deserves another. Could you point out to me the shortest route to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Ahn-galays?
- Angus MacRory: [confused] La Brea Tar Pits? [He suddenly realizes the confusion, runs off, and quickly returns with a blunderbuss, pointing it at Bugs Bunny's back] There are no La Brea Tar Pits in Scotland!
- Bugs Bunny: Scotland? Eh, what's up, MacDoc? [He quickly departs]
- Bugs Bunny: [disguised as an aged Scotsman] So, MacR-r-rory, poaching on my pr-r-roperty! I'm displeased, MacR-r-rory. You shouldnae shoot my r-r-r-rabbits.
- Angus MacRory: Yon bonnie rabbit dinna belong to you.
- Bugs Bunny: It dinna?
- Angus MacRory: [shouting] NO, IT DINNA!
- Bugs Bunny: Wanna bet?
- Angus MacRory: NO! We'll settle this in true Scots tradition: at games.
- Bugs Bunny: Games? [sets up a card table and deals cards] Okay, pigeon, sit down.
- Angus MacRory: No, no, we dinna play that game.
- Bugs Bunny: [slightly surprised] Is there another one?
- Angus MacRory: [pulling out two bags of golf clubs] Golf!
- Bugs Bunny: Golf?
- Angus MacRory: Aye, golf. Choose your weapons.
- Bugs Bunny: Have it your way, Mac, but don't you get a little tired running them eighteen bases?
- Bugs Bunny: [MacRory is about to drive his golf ball] Fore!
- Angus MacRory: Four? Three and a half. [He hits both the golf ball and the tee, riding the grass sod into the hole for a hole in one]
- Bugs Bunny: [protesting] A hole in one? Why, you little cheater! You little four flusher! Why, you can't...
- [After Bugs Bunny has hit a hole in one]
- Bugs Bunny: I win.
- [Angus MacRory gets angry as his eyes turn blue]
- Angus MacRory: That was a dirty bit o'cheating!
- Bugs Bunny: Cheating? Why, that identical situation occurred in the New Hebrides Open. Kaduffleblaze versus Fuddle in 19-aught-18. And what about Fradis versus Ginfritter? Hah! Bizbo versus Stoigen in the Casablanca Amateur. Cheating, indeed! The noive!
- Angus MacRory: [solemnly] 'Tis plain that the weight of evidence is greatly against me. [angrily] But you still can't beat me at the pipes! [He runs off, and quickly returns with bagpipes, and plays them] Ha! Try and top that! [Bugs Bunny runs off] Oh! [Bugs Bunny, dressed like a Scot, plays the bagpipes, a trombone, a saxophone, a trumpet, two clarinets, cymbals on his feet, and a bass drum on his head with the beaters tied to his ears. Bugs Bunny looks at the audience and waggles his eyebrow. The cartoon irises-out]
- Mel Blanc as Bugs Bunny and Angus MacRory.