American musician, DJ, and singer
- Could you look at animal in the eyes and say to it "my appetite is more important than your suffering"? I hope not.
- from essay included with The End Of Everything (1996)
- a long time ago only kings had rights. then rights were extended to property-owning white men. then all men. then wymyn [sic]. then children. then the mentally retarded. now we're agonizing over the extension of basic rights to homosexuals and animals. we need to finally accept that all sentient creatures are deserving of basic rights.
- from essay included with Animal Rights (1997)
- Better a loving single parent family than a 'conventional' family wherein the parents hate each other and the father is a demagogue.
- "One problem with cultural conservatism," essay included with the compilation album I Like to Score (1997)
- I got a phone call from Ricky Martin's management asking me if I'd like to do something with him in Florida around the winter music conference. My answer is as follows: 'I would consider doing something with Ricky Martin if and only if he publicly apologizes for performing at George W's inauguration and if he confirms that when he danced next to George W. Bush at the inauguration he could smell brimstone and that George W. Bush is in fact the spawn of Satan. So if Ricky Martin goes on national television to confirm that George W. is the spawn of Satan then I will perform with him. Otherwise no deal. And only if we can do a cover of 'In a Gadda-da-vida', but The Simpsons version, 'In the garden of Eden' (to which reverend Lovejoy responds ""that sounds like rock and or roll""). And, by the way, I'm a pretty easygoing young-ish person, so if you ever see me walking down the street just stop me and say hello. We're all in the same boat, right? of course you'll have to make it past my phalanx of security guards who are all ex-NFL linebackers, and the cadre of dobermans, and the perma-moat that I wear that's filled with electric eels and vicious sea monkeys. So if you see me just come and say hi. I'm normal.
- Ozzy Osbourne used to snort ants. Led Zeppelin had sex with hookers on private planes. And I start an on-tour book club. Because one can only snort so many ants and have so much sex before one starts to long for the comfort and companionship of a good book.
- "to Copenhagen. bumpy roads & ant colonies," journal entry (7 October 2002) at moby.com
- Why can't a Democrat get fired up about protecting the environment and enacting gun control legislation just as right wing republicans get fired up about making sure that children have access to assault weapons and banning 'The catcher in the rye' and 'Harry Potter'?
- "imo", journal entry (28 December 2002) at moby.com
- I'm actually kind of impressed by Iraq's patience right now... I mean, look at it objectively. They've opened their doors to un inspectors, they're being bombed by british and american troops, american forces are massing at their borders, american diplomats are actively looking to assinate [sic] Saddam Hussein, etc. It almost seems like Bush is doing everything he can to taunt Saddam Hussein. Not just if you step over this line I will hit you, but if you step over this line while I put rats on your back and put butter on the floor and make fun of your mom and move the line then I will hit you, in fact I'll hit you even if you just stand there and do nothing. It's painfully clear that iraq should not be allowed to have weapons of mass destruction. But it also seems painfully clear that the bush administration have no intention of finding a peaceful resolution to the situation in Iraq.
- It will be interesting to see what the long term fruits of our national apathy will be, 'cos so far they've been pretty foul.
- One simple word: ugh. Is something still considered a conspiracy if it's played out right under our noses?
- For example, you can go on all the pro-life chat rooms and say you're an outraged right-wing voter and that you know that George Bush drove an ex-girlfriend to an abortion clinic and paid for her to get an abortion.
Then you go to an anti-immigration website chat room and ask, "What's all this about George Bush proposing amnesty for illegal aliens?"
- Quoted in "Punk the prez? Moby's anti-Bush tricks" by George Rush and Joanna Rush Molloy, New York Daily News (9 February 2004); for Moby's comment on this news item, see "today's daily news", journal entry (8 February 2004) at moby.com
- Call me a nerd if you like, but I do find it hard to leave home without my laptop and a good book.
- You are a liar. You are inept. You are probably the worst president that the United States has ever had to endure. You are not welcome in NYC.
- Put me on the train, send me back to my home
Couldn't live without you when I tried to roam
Put me by the window, let me see outside
Looking at the places where all my family died
- He was searching
Blindly night and day
This life, there must be more
Just to stay awake
His heart was like a stone
- And on the last day
He walked out in the sun
He only just discovered the sun
On the last day
And on the last day
When all his work was done
He only just discovered the sun
On the last day
All this rapture
Right here all along
In scraps he tore away
All this color
In his final breath
Exhaled the dark and gray
- Mainly the fact that I love animals and don’t want to be involved in anything that causes or contributes to animal suffering. Also, I never really liked meat that much, unless it neither looked [n]or tasted like meat. Like taco filling. But, mainly because I love animals and don’t want them to suffer. Death is unavoidable, suffering is avoidable.
- On what inspired him to go vegan, from an "Ask Me Anything" session on Reddit; as quoted in "Vegan Veteran Moby Reveals on Reddit Why He Eschews Eating Animals", in Ecorazzi (6 February 2014)