2004 film directed by Gavin O'Connor
Miracle is a 2004 American sports film about the United States men's hockey team, led by head coach Herb Brooks, that won the gold medal in the 1980 Winter Olympics. The USA team's victory over the heavily favored Soviet team in the medal round was dubbed the Miracle on Ice.
- Directed by Gavin O'Connor. Written by Eric Guggenheim.
If You Believe In Yourself, Miracles Can Happen.taglines
- You think you can win on talent alone? Gentlemen, YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TALENT TO WIN ON TALENT ALONE!
- You better think about something else, each and every one of you. When you pull on that jersey, you represent yourself and your teammates...and the name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back. Get that through your head. AGAIN!
- [Addressing the team before the US-USSR game] Great moments...are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them...and we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time! Now go out there and take it!
- [Speaking to team during the last intermission in the US-USSR game] Listen to 'em (the crowd chanting U-S-A!). That's what you've done. We've come from behind in every game in this tournament so far and we can do it again. [team blankly stares] We can beat these guys!
- [Epilogue voiceover] Two days later, the miracle was made complete. My boys defeated Finland to win the gold medal, coming from behind once again. As I watched them out there, celebrating on the ice, I realized that Patti had been right. It was a lot more than a hockey game, not only for those who watched it, but for those who played in it. I've often been asked in the years since Lake Placid what was the best moment for me. Well, it was here - the sight of 20 young men of such differing backgrounds now standing as one. Young men willing to sacrifice so much of themselves, all for an unknown. A few years later, the U.S. began using professional athletes at the Games - "Dream Teams". I always found that term ironic because now that we have Dream Teams, we seldom ever get to dream. But on one weekend, as America and the world watched, a group of remarkable young men gave the nation what it needed most - a chance, for one night, not only to dream, but a chance, once again, to believe.
- Eleven seconds, you've got ten seconds, the countdown going on right now! Morrow, up to Silk. Five seconds left in the game. Do you believe in miracles?! YES!!!
- [Analyzing the players during the tryouts]
- Herb Brooks: Take a look at this.
- Craig Patrick: What's this?
- Brooks: Twenty-six names. [pause] The tough part will be getting it down to 20 before the opening ceremonies.
- Patrick: This is the final roster? You're kidding me, right? This is our first day, Herb. We've got a week of this. What about the advisory staff? Aren't they supposed to have a say in this?
- Brooks: Technically, I guess. I don't know.
- Patrick: You're missing some of the best players.
- Brooks: I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones.
- Patrick: You have Jim Craig to back up Janaszak?
- Brooks: Other way around.
- Patrick: Other way around? I'm sorry didn't Janaszak just win you a national championship?
- Brooks: Janny is a solid goal tender, but we're not playing for the national championship here, Craig.
- Patrick: You know people I speak to say that Craig's game has been off since his mom died.
- Brooks: They ever see him when his game's on?
- [In the aftermath of OC and McClanahan's fight at a practice game]
- Herb Brooks: Well, how 'bout it boys? Look like hockey to you? Looks more like a couple monkeys trying to hump a football to me, I don't know. What do you think Craig?
- Craig Patrick: Yeah.
- Brooks: You wanna settle old scores, you're on the wrong team. We move forward starting right now. We start becoming a team RIGHT NOW! Skating. Passing. Flow. Creativity. That is what this team is all about, gentlemen, not old rivalries. So, why don't we start with some introductions. You know, get to know each other a little bit. Where you from. Who you are. [looks at McClanahan] Go ahead.
- Rob McClanahan: [rolls his eyes] Rob McClanahan. St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Brooks: Who do you play for?
- McClanahan: I play for you, here at the U.
- Brooks: [looks at OC] Jack?
- Jack O'Callahan: Jack O'Callahan. Charlestown, Massachusetts. Boston University.
- Brooks: [looks at Ralph Cox] Over here.
- Ralph Cox: I'm Ralph Cox. I'm from wherever's not gonna get me hit!
- Brooks: Very good. Everybody on the line, let's go!
- [showing the team a new play]
- Herb Brooks: Boom he can hit him. Boom. Boom. Boom. We're opening up options. We've got four options off of one play. Allright. Any questions? [silence] Good, let's go.
- Buzz Schneider: What the hell is he talking about?
- Rob McClanahan: No clue!
- [During an intermission break in the US-Sweden game]
- Herb Brooks: This is unbelievable. You guys are playing like this is some throw away game up in Rochester. Who we playing Rammer?
- Mike Ramsey: Sweden.
- Brooks: Yeah. You're damn [topples a refreshments table] right Sweden! In the Olympics! [Turns to McClanahan] What the hell is wrong with you? Put your gear on! I said put your gear on! Who do you play for?
- McClanahan: Doc told me I can't play.
- Brooks: Yeah, yeah, yeah I know. You got a bad bruise. You know what, put your street clothes on because I got no time for quitters!
- Mike Eruzione: Come on Herb! Nobody is quitting here!
- Brooks: You worry about your own game. Plenty there to keep you busy. [to McClanahan] A bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart, [mutters as he walks away] candy ass.
- McClanahan: What'd you call me?
- Brooks: You heard me!
- McClanahan: You want me to play huh? Is that what you want? [rushes Brooks]
- Brooks: I want you to be a hockey player!!
- McClanahan: I AM A HOCKEY PLAYER! YOU WANT ME TO PLAY ON ONE LEG? HUH? I'LL PLAY ON ONE LEG!
- Brooks: [walking out of the locker room with McClanahan still screaming] That'll get him going.
- Craig Patrick: Oh yeah. I'll clean up!
- McClanahan: [as other players calm him down] GET OFF ME! THERE, WOULD THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY, HUH HERB?!?! I AM A HOCKEY PLAYER!!!!
- [The night before the US-USSR game, Herb and Patti Brooks sit at a park]
- Herb Brooks: I got a telegram from a lady in Texas today, and you know what it said?
- Patti Brooks: What?
- Herb: "Beat those Commie bastards." We're playing a hockey game against the greatest team in the world, and they're the best that's ever played this game. Why can't we just leave it at that?
- Patti: Because this is more than a hockey game to a lot of people.
- Herb: Yeah and I keep running through them all. Johnson on Mikhailov. Broten on Petrov. Pav against whoever-Ov. We just ... We don't match up, Patti.
- Patti: You might want to skip that when you talk to the boys tomorrow. Herb, there's no disgrace in losing to this team.
- Herb: Yeah, I know.
- Patti: The important thing is, you got this far.
- Herb: The important thing? The important thing is that those twenty boys know in twenty years, they didn't leave anything on the table. They played their hearts out. That's the important thing. [leans over and kisses Patti on the cheek, while she rests her head on his shoulder]
- What America needed was a miracle. What it got was a hockey game.
- If you believe in yourself, Miracles can happen.
- The story of the greatest moment in sports history.
- Their game made them winners. Their spirit made them heroes.
- Do you believe in miracles?
- Kurt Russell - Coach Herb Brooks
- Noah Emmerich - Coach Craig Patrick
- Patricia Clarkson - Patti Brooks
- Sean McCann - Walter Bush
- Kenneth Welsh - Doc Nagobads
- Eddie Cahill - Jim Craig
- Patrick O'Brien Demsey as Mike Eruzione
- Michael Mantenuto - Jack O'Callahan
- Nathan West - Rob McClanahan
- Bobby Hanson - Dave Silk
- Nate Miller - John Harrington
- Kris Wilson - Phil Verchota
- Scott Johnson - Steve Christoff
- Miracle quotes at the Internet Movie Database