Speech to Conservative Party conference 1993
Michael Howard QC (born 7 July 1941) is a British politician who has been a Conservative MP since the 1983 General Election for the constituency of Folkestone and Hythe. He was Home Secretary in John Major's government and led his party from 2003 to 2005, including at the 2005 general election.
|This political figure article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Let us be clear. Prison works. It ensures that we are protected from murderers, muggers and rapists, and it makes many who are tempted to commit crime think twice.
- Colin Brown, "Howard seeks to placate 'angry majority'", The Independent, October 7, 1993
- Speech to the Conservative Party conference, October 6, 1993
- Let me make it clear: this grammar school boy will take no lessons from that public school boy on the importance of children from less privileged backgrounds gaining access to university.
- Hansard, House of Commons, 6th series, vol. 415 col. 498
- At Prime Minister's Question Time in the House of Commons, December 3, 2003