Matilda the Musical (film)
2022 film by Matthew Warchus
Matilda the Musical is a American/British 2022 musical family comedy-drama film.
- Directed by Matthew Warchus, Written by Dennis Kelly, Produced by Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Jon Finn and Luke Kelly, based on the theatrical musical play of the same name and the 1988 novel Matilda by Roald Dahl.
Meet the exception to the rules.
- [seeing the Trunchbull stretching Eric's ears] Leave him alone, you stupid horrible bully!
- Go and see if that child is still alive.
- This school... is full of rebels.
- [panicking and screaming as Lavender's pet newt, Isaac, wriggles down her back] Oh, God, the newt! It's in my... IT'S IN MY KNICKERS!!! IT'S IN MY KNICKEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
- Mr. Wormwood: I can't believe that! Talking to me like that. How dare they! [turns to Matilda] I'm getting fined because of you!
- Matilda Wormwood: It's not my fault! You forgot to send me to school.
- Mr. Wormwood: Yeah, well you're going to school now, and you're gonna meet The Trunchbull.
- Matilda Wormwood: The Trunchbull?
- Mr. Wormwood: Agatha Trunchbull. Headmistress of Crunchem Hall.
- Agatha Trunchbull: [draws out the handheld speaker part of her microphone] Amanda Thripp. [Matilda and the children stare at Amanda, who looks frightened by the Trunchbull's presence]
- Amanda Thripp: [stammers nervously] Y-Y-Yes, Miss Trunchbull?
- Agatha Trunchbull: What have I said about pigtails? I hate pigtails.
- Amanda Thripp: But my mummy loves them. She thinks they make me look pretty!
- Agatha Trunchbull: Well, your mother is a TWIT! [pulls Amanda's pigtails and spins Amanda in a circle before launching Amanda above the fence like a hammer throw]
- Matilda Wormwood: Do you want to hear about my first day at school?
- Mrs. Wormwood: Yuck. I'd rather eat vegetables.
- Mr. Wormwood: It's official, I'm a genius! My losing streak is over. This fella comes into the lot. Huge he was. Great big bear of a man. And this bear of a man wants a luxury car.
- Mrs. Wormwood: Oh, lovely. But do bears drive?
- Mr. Wormwood: No. He's not a real bear.
- Matilda Wormwood: Do you have a luxury car?
- Mr. Wormwood: I've got two, boy.
- Matilda Wormwood: I'm a girl.
- Mr. Wormwood: One with a smashed-in front, and one with a smashed-in back. All I gotta do is cut them in half, glue them together and Bob's your chipmunk. Daddy's back.
- Matilda Wormwood: But isn't that illegal? And sort of, well, wrong? [Mrs. Wormwood gasps]
- Mr. Wormwood: What'd he say? Wrong? Wrong? [snatches the library book out of Matilda's hand] Give me that. The Grapes of...Idiot! How can grapes be angry? Hey? What utter junk!
- Matilda Wormwood: It's not about grapes.
- Mr. Wormwood: Back-yakking! The little madam!
- Matilda Wormwood: I'm not back-yakking!
- Mr. Wormwood: Don't you back-yak me! I'll rip this book up in front of you.
- Matilda Wormwood: No, it's a library book!
- Mrs. Wormwood: Go on, do it. Go on.
- Mr. Wormwood: [rips the pages of the library book] There! There! Now get to bed, you little bookworm.
- Jennifer Honey: This isn't teaching. This is cruelty!
- Agatha Trunchbull: Cruelty? Well, yes. Of course.
- Lavender Brown: [slips her pet newt Isaac in the water pitcher] Go on, boy
- Agatha Trunchbull: You did say it was going to be fun.
- Jennifer Honey: But this isn't fun!
- Agatha Trunchbull: Miss Honey, you are pathetic. You are weak. [pours the water from the pitcher in the cup] You are wet. You are, in fact... [takes a slurp out of the cup] ...a snivelling, little... [sees Isaac in the cup she drank from] ...newt. [screams in horror at the discovery of Isaac's presence in the water cup]
- Agatha Truchbull: (YELLS, SHOUTS AND SCREAMS AT ONCE)
- Alisha Weir as Matilda Wormwood
- Lashana Lynch as Miss Jennifer Honey
- Emma Thompson as Miss Agatha Trunchbull
- Stephen Graham as Mr. Wormwood
- Andrea Riseborough as Mrs. Wormwood
- Sindhu Vee as Mrs. Phelps
- Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical quotes at the Internet Movie Database