Marthinus Theunis Steyn
Martinus Theunis Steyn (or Marthinus) (2 October 1857 – 28 November 1916) was a South African lawyer, politician, and statesman, sixth and last president of the independent Orange Free State from 1896 to 1902.
During his election campaign in 1895
- Let us leave nothing unmoved that will help us to become a independent people, and nothing more will be done than to ensure that our children receive a good education.
- The Government (Volksraad) of the Orange Free State, which is much smaller than that of the other states, are determined to uplift the standard of education in the Orange Free State to the same level of other wealthier states.
- We should steadily and surely strive to this goal, because if we educate the children of South Africa our influence shall reach far and wide, this influence shall bring about a unification and that is undoubtedly the calling of the Orange Free State.
- During an election speech in December 1895, Marthinus Theunis Steyn - regsman, staatsman en volksman, M.C.E. van Schoor, Protea Boekhuis Pretoria, p. 85
Statement of Alliance with the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek in 1899
- The nation of the Orange Free State stand ready for war in such circumstances where peace cannot be secured with honour, and although we recognize our shortcomings, our nation depend on the power of God to deliver us and secure us a victory. With a deep understanding of what we can expect when we place our trust in the Almighty, our nation will enter the war with courage and will fight until the bitter end to preserve the independence of our beloved fatherland
- During an urgent government meeting on the 26th of September 1899 just before the outbreak of the 2nd Anglo-Boer War, Marthinus Theunis Steyn - regsman, staatsman en volksman, M.C.E. van Schoor, Protea Boekhuis Pretoria, p. 127
During the 2nd Anglo-Boer War 1900
- We must insure that future generations talk about us as hero's and patriots and not as cowards who gave away our inheritance without a fight. We must endure until the bitter end. I will do so.
- During a war council meeting in Kroonstad, 2nd Anglo-Boer War. Marthinus Theunis Steyn - regsman, staatsman en volksman, M.C.E. van Schoor, Protea Boekhuis Pretoria, p. 176
Quotes about M.T SteynEdit
- Clear, worthy and convincing was this argument, an example of skillfulness and self control and proof that Steyn, even when faced with volatile circumstances, remained completely proficient.Dutch text
- By Fredericus (Frederik) Rompel, journalist and parliamentary reporter of De Volkstem in the Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR); in response to a letter written by M.T Steyn to Kitchener in 1901. Marthinus Theunis Steyn - regsman, staatsman en volksman, M.C.E. van Schoor, Protea Boekhuis Pretoria, p. 221
^ Helder, waardig en overtuigend was dit betoog, een voorbeeld van bezadigheid en zelfbeheersching, en een treffend bewijs dat Steyn zelfs onder de mees opwindinde omstandigheden zicht zelf volkome meester bleeft